Local Football Round Up

LOCAL football round-up Kershaw Premier League LITTLEPORT Town thumped Newmarket Town Reserves 5-1 on Saturday. First-half strikes from Richie Murfitt and Jamie Palmer set Port on their way. This was added to in the second period by Andrew Lee who bagg

LOCAL football round-up

Kershaw Premier League

LITTLEPORT Town thumped Newmarket Town Reserves 5-1 on Saturday.

First-half strikes from Richie Murfitt and Jamie Palmer set Port on their way. This was added to in the second period by Andrew Lee who bagged a brace and substitute James Francis rounded off a splendid victory ten minutes from time.

Ely Reserves went down 2-0 away to Over Sports in a disappointing result for the Robins' second string.

Fordham were slow out of the blocks away to Eaton Socon as they found themselves 3-0 l behind at the half-time interval even though 17-year-old debutant goalkeeper Jamie Clark was not to blame for any of the goals and gave an impressive display throughout. Fordham came back into it after some inspired tactical changes from manager, Colin Sheldrick, resulted in a comeback of sorts as Dan Langley helped himself to a double but they were eventually beaten 4-2.

Most Read

Senior A

THERE was a cracking victory for Soham Town Rangers Reserves as they blitzed Cherry Hinton 5-0 in another great Soham performance.

Thomas Christie led the way with two goals and had excellent support from Adam Clements, Thomas Crawford and William Seymore who all notched one goal each as they continued their climb up the table.

Senior B

SOHAM United threw away two valuable points in their promotion chase as they squandered a decent first-half showing against bottom club Bluntisham Rangers, throwing away their two-goal half-time lead.

Ben Howe capitalised on some errant goalkeeping to score after four minutes and Jason Parker's penalty increased the lead, before a second-half horror which saw Bluntisham draw level by the final whistle.

Haddenham Rovers were also in the ascendancy as they led by two goals after 60 minutes of their bruising encounter away to Saffron Crocus.

They too shipped two late goals to go home with just one point to show for their efforts. Will Ludbrooke from close-range and a well-worked passing move resulted in Aaron Spencer netting from 18 yards before the Crocus comeback thwarted them.

Ely City 'A's stuttering form continued as theysuccumbed by the odd goal in three in a defeat at lowly Cottenham United Reserves.

Div 1B

BOTTOM-of-the-table Sutton United Reserves suffered another narrow away defeat as Waterbeach Reserves ran out 1-0 winners.

Div 2B

INJURY-hit The Vine lost to Doddington United for the second consecutive week.

Two individual errors from The Vine defenders were ruthlessly punished and second placed Doddington raced into a 2-0 half-time lead. An own goal got The Vine back into the match, after Grant Spencer neatly turned his marker to drive in a cross that proved impossible to defend against. The home side pushed for the equaliser but were caught on the counter attack, resulting in Doddington's third goal - effectively killing the game.

Pymoor suffered a heavy defeat to third-placed Huntingdon United RGE as they were overcome 5-2 by an impressive Huntingdon outfit.

Div 3B

FORDHAM Reserves' surge up the table continued as they beat Wisbech St Mary 'A' for the second time in four games, 3-2.

They fell behind after 30 seconds before Alex Smith equalised following a Tom Wilson free kick. Smith's happiness was to be short-lived though, as he was clattered and an ambulance had to be called to the scene to attend to his injury. The game continued on the next pitch and a distracted Fordham managed to concentrate just long enough for Phil Sheppard to fire home twice after good work from John Mitchell and Nick Poole to run out winners in a dramatic game.

Div 4B

SOHAM United Reserves produced a fabulous performance to grab a point away to high-flying Chatteris Town 'A' on a particularly boggy pitch.

United came back from going a goal down to take the lead courtesy of a Jamie Palmer finish following good play by Rob Alverstone. The victory was snatched from them by Town who thanks to a great performance from Julian Young struck just before the end to secure 2-2 draw.

An astonishing game at Haddenham saw Emneth Spartans score with five minutes to go to secure a 6-5 victory at Rovers Reserves.

Spartans finished with nine men as two players were given straight red cards after 29 minutes but still came away with the three points.

Wicken Amateurs were the other team in action in this section but were swept aside by West Row Gunners Reserves 6-1.

Div 5C

ALL four local sides in this section were beaten on a disappointing day.

Little Downham Reserves only had a sumptuous Paul Bone header from a pinpoint Daniel Coston free kick to remember as they capitulated 7-1 at home to Waterbeach 'A'.

Mepal Sports Reserves went down 2-0 to leaders Bar Hill and Witchford '96 Reserves were humbled 6-2 by a clinical Longstanton Reserves side.

Sutton United Reserves went ahead against Burwell Swifts 'A' through Steven Robins but were soon pegged back and had Daniel Twinn to thank as his goal took it to two each at the break. Burwell showed no mercy though as they struck twice more to defeat the plucky bottom club 4-2.

Lower Junior Cup

THERE was more cup woe in the Lower Junior Cup for the local sides as Littleport Town Reserves were defeated in the last 16 2-1 by Elsworth Sports with Mark Argient the only home scorer.

There was joy though for Witchford '96 as they came through by two goals to one to make to through to the last eight of the competition, they now face Littleport's conquerors Elsworth next week for a place in the semi-finals.

John Ablett Cup

DAN Bell's two-goal blitz was not enough to save Little Downham Swifts from a last 16 defeat to Chatteris Town Reserves that has ruined their cup hopes for this season following last week's reverse in the Lower Junior Cup. They were three behind by half-time in a bad-tempered affair in which Chatteris were fortunate to retain 11 men on the field at the end. Bell's second-half heroics meant they had a chance at 3-2 before Town made the game safe.

Ben Howe and Jason Parker both notched for Soham. 0333HD Photo: HELEN DRAKE