LOCAL FOOTBALL: Burwell Swifts withdraw from Kershaw A Division
- Credit: Photo: Keith Mindham Photography
Burwell Swifts have withdrawn their first team from the Kershaw Senior A Division of the Cambs League.
The East Cambs outfit became the third local side to fold – following the withdrawal of Wisbech Town Reserves and Outwell Swifts from the PDFL Premier Division and Kerhaw Premier respectively – on Wednesday (August 9).
A club statement said: “It is with great sadness that we can confirm that we will no longer be running two teams.
“But we will be pushing harder than ever from 3B to get back in to Kershaw Leagues where we belong.
“We have a great bunch of committed, hard working players that are up for the challenge.”
You may also want to watch:
The news comes just one week after the Swifts secured a one-year sponsorship with local recovery firm, Manchetts, and six days before they were due to take on Hundon in the William Cockell Memorial Cup final (August 15).
The club, which came fifth in the Kershaw Senior A last term, will now play in the Mead, Plant & Grab 3B Division.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Man found dead in March
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 8 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation