Littleport stretch unbeaten run to five

PREMIER DIVISION LITTLEPORT Town are now sixth and unbeaten in five outings after Saturday s 2-1 victory against Cottenham United. David Cullum (jnr) scored the opener after a neat build-up, and Dave Beeton nodded home Andrew Francis s corner to make it 2


LITTLEPORT Town are now sixth and unbeaten in five outings after Saturday's 2-1 victory against Cottenham United.

David Cullum (jnr) scored the opener after a neat build-up, and Dave Beeton nodded home Andrew Francis's corner to make it 2-0.

Cottenham pulled one back before the interval, and Littleport's Andy Smart made a fantastic save in the second half, but Cottenham rarely threatened to peg back a determined home side.

Fordham meanwhile suffered a second successive defeat as they went down 3-2 at Cambridge University Press.

The hosts led after intense early pressure, but Darren Pryke equalised with a diving header in the 20th minute.

Most Read

John Sands rapped the Press bar with a second half free kick, but within seconds, his side were facing a 2-1 deficit.

Fordham then conceded another goal, but Dan Langley swooped to head home a Jamie Palmer cross and the visitors pressed hard for an equaliser.

With five minutes remaining a shot from Sands was parried by the Press goalkeeper, but Sam James could only succeed in clearing the bar from eight yards and Fordham were still a goal adrift at the final whistle.


ELY City Reserves came from behind to win at Gamlingay United.

Gamlingay established a 10th minute lead but Ely quickly equalised through a Liam Hart header.

Hart then put City in front, but Ely seemed to have squandered two points when the hosts equalised with five minutes remaining.

City would not be denied however, and in the 88th minute, Andrew Lee's pass - intended for Jamie Gayfer - slipped under the goalkeeper's body to secure a 3-2 victory.

Soham Town Rangers Reserves maintained their run of form with a fine performance against Hardwick.

Alex Irvine scored twice in the first half and Lee Moll's second half double secured the points after the visitors had managed to pull one back.


HADDENHAM Rovers are back on the winning trail after scoring six times in the thrashing of JM Sports.

Will Ludbrooke scored with the outside of his right foot in the 10th minute after a fine one-touch move, and Robbie Keen headed home Gary Goodjohn's floated free-kick to make it 2-0.

Kenny Holmes added a third goal before half-time, and struck again after the interval, before missing a penalty.

Tom Moden made it five after Holmes had hit the post, and Ludbrooke wrapped up a 6-1 victory in the closing stages after JM Sports had managed to pull a goal back.

Soham United meanwhile drew for the first time as they traded blows with Bobby Shinton's Willingham.

The home side drew first blood as Soham appealed for a foul on their goalkeeper with 20 minutes remaining, but Chris Lam made it 1-1 with a neat header from James Brown's free kick.


LITTLEPORT Town Reserves boast a 100 per cent record after four outings following Saturday's 3-2 win at Buckden.

Richard Layn's opener was cancelled out, but Cavan Bennett put the visitors back in the driving seat.

Buckden again restored the balance, but with 10 minutes remaining, Luke Butcher headed home the winner.


STRETHAM Hotspurs are still without a win this season following Saturday's 4-1 defeat at Lode.

Poor defending saw them concede three goals in the opening quarter of an hour, and although they enjoyed a great deal of possession, they failed to make the most of their chances.

Young John Ashman did manage to pull one back for Hotspurs, but his side were still three goals adrift at the final whistle.


PYMOOR maintained their 100 per cent record with a 7-3 victory at Fordham Reserves.

Fordham scored through Andy Pearson, Grant Pearson and Mark Hacking (penalty), but the visitors were too strong and ran out convincing winners with goals from Stephen Ball (four) and Simon Law (three).

Soham United Reserves meanwhile turned in a gutsy performance to see off local rivals Little Downham Swifts.

Aaron Lee and Alan Da Costa put Soham 2-0 ahead in the first half, but Downham fought back strongly after the break.

Soham's Craig Whyatt was knocked unconscious after a challenge which left him with a broken foot, and Da Costa was sent off for handball as United played the last 30 minutes with just nine men.

Downham managed to pull a goal back, but Stuart Freeland - with a shredded boot - was on target for United in the closing stages to make the final score 3-1.

The Vine meanwhile suffered their first defeat of the campaign, going down 5-2 at St Ives Town A.


MEPAL Sports' striker Chris Silvain bagged four goals as Mepal Sports kept up their perfect start to the season with victory against local rivals Haddenham Rovers Reserves.

Silvain's opener was cancelled out by the hosts, but Matt Johannsson made the interval score 2-1 and good wing play from Darren Murfitt and Giles Peacock enabled Silvain to complete his four-goal haul.

Johannsson was on target again as the visitors won the match 6-2.

Ely Crusaders crashed 5-2 at March Rangers, but Burwell Swifts edged out Barton Mills Reserves 2-1 at home.

Ollie Williams fired into the roof of the net after a good interchange of passes, and Lee Hardy doubled Burwell's lead.

The visitors pulled one back in the second half and had a chance to make it 2-2, but Chris Grant's athletic goal-line clearance ensured that Burwell came away with all three points.


WICKEN Amateurs and Burwell Swifts Reserves shared the spoils on Saturday, but it was a match that the hosts could easily have won after dominating the closing stages.

Tom Thatcher, a former Wicken marksman, opened the scoring after good work by Aaron Crisp, before Wicken finished strongly, twice hitting the woodwork in the second half, through James Petersen and Bobby Fenn.

The Amateurs equalised when substitute Jamie Beeton crossed for Dane Turner to score with eight minutes left, but there were chances at both ends and Wicken's man of the match was goalkeeper Rory Woodroffe.


THE Vine Reserves are through to the second round after a 3-2 victory against Isleham United Reserves.

The visitors found themselves 3-0 down at the start of the second half, but an own goal put them back in the tie and Ian Rutterford's solo effort reduced the deficit to a single goal before the final whistle.

Littleport Town A went down 2-1 at Outwell Swifts Reserves despite a goal from Lee Yearn, and Little Downham Swifts Reserves were on the wrong end of a 4-2 scoreline at home to Walsoken United.


WITCHFORD '96 made it through after a nail-biting penalty shoot-out at Hardwick Reserves on Saturday.

The match finished 2-2 after normal time and, after a goalless extra half-an-hour, the sides were level after eight penalty kicks. The hosts failed with their fifth spot-kick, and it was left to Ward to make it 5-4 in the shoot-out.

Sutton United beat hosts Cambourne Rovers rather more comfortably with goals from Matthew Keys (two), Sam Oliver and Colin Coulson in a 4-0 win, but Isleham United are out despite a spirited performance at Bottisham Sports.

Neil Parr (two) and David Holmes kept the visitors on level terms, but Sports grabbed a goal in the final minute to win 4-3.