Littleport deliver knockout blow

PREMIER LEAGUE CUP FIRST ROUND Littleport Town caused one of the several shocks on Saturday as they ousted current league leaders Great Shelford from the competition after extra-time. Port started very brightly, and although Shelford subsequently helped t



Littleport Town caused one of the several shocks on Saturday as they ousted current league leaders Great Shelford from the competition after extra-time.

Port started very brightly, and although Shelford subsequently helped themselves to lots of possession they never looked particularly dangerous.

Town on the other hand always carried a threat, and in the first period of extra-time they finally made the breakthrough.

Andrew Francis cut the ball back inside the penalty area, and substitute Jack Jordan side-footed home to make it 1-0.

Most Read

Shelford were still shell-shocked when the hosts grabbed a second goal three minutes later, Francis drifting past three players and scoring after a corner had been half-cleared by the visiting defence.

Littleport continued to look lively up front as Shelford pushed more and more players forward, but in the end they were happy to settle for a 2-0 victory.

"The scoreline flattered them in a way," said 'Port boss Dave Cullum afterwards. "In the end we could have had three or four more goals."


Fordham are up to fifth spot in the table after recording their first win in six matches at home to Cottenham United.

Jose Montero side-footed home after John Sands had seen his effort parried by the visiting goalkeeper in the 15th minute, but Cottenham got back on level terms after a bright start to the second half.

Fordham continued to look dangerous up front however, and when the United goalkeeper strayed off his line, Montero chipped home from 20-yards for what proved to be the winner.

"We are still not at our best," said Fordham secretary John Pryke after his side's 2-1 win, "but we got the three points."


Soham Town Rangers Reserves could have gone top by winning their midweek encounter with leaders Wisbech Town Reserves, but after leading twice they eventually went down by the odd goal in five.

Gareth Randall's opener was cancelled out before half-time, but Brett Fuller fired Soham back in front and they seemed the likeliest winners at that stage.

Wisbech hit back almost immediately however, and with 15 minutes remaining they grabbed another goal to deny Rangers the point they undoubtedly deserved.



Ely City Reserves are through to the next stage after an impressive 4-1 victory at Gamlingay United.

They conceded an early penalty when Martin Gray's sliced clearance hit him on the hand, but James Salmons got them back on terms 10 minutes before the interval and Liam Hart's double put City in command in the second half.

Gamlingay's goalkeeper was lucky not to be sent off after handling outside the box, but Ely clinched the tie with 15 minutes remaining, substitute Gareth Arter scoring with his very first touch.


Soham United are out after a 3-1 home defeat at the hands of Milton, and Haddenham Rovers also finished two goals adrift as they went down 4-2 at West Row Gunners.


By Steve Green


Littleport Town Reserves lost their unbeaten record on Saturday, and they were replaced at the top of the table by 100% Tuddenham Rovers who beat them 6-1.

Luke Butcher (penalty) was on target for the visitors, but Neil Cullum's side received a painful lesson even though the home side were slightly flattered by the scoreline.


Newmarket White Lion had their goalkeeper sent off in the opening minute for a foul on Colin Coulson as Sutton United came out on top in a 12-goal thriller.

Coulson was set to score when the 'keeper dragged him down, and Matthew Keys stepped up to make it 1-0 from the penalty spot.

Sutton found themselves 4-2 down at one stage, but three goals in six minutes saw the visitors establish a 5-4 advantage.

United then struck three goals themselves in a similar period of time towards the finish, and ended up on the right side of a 7-5 scoreline.

Keys eventually helped himself to four goals, and he was joined on the scoresheet by Coulson, veteran Paul Canham, and a Newmarket defender who put through his own goal.

Stretham Hotspurs are still without a win after crashing 4-1 at home to Lode and Isleham United lost 5-0 at leaders Wisbech St Mary, but Witchford '96 survived Jonathan Chase's second half dismissal to win at Over Sports Reserves.

The hosts equalised from the free-kick that resulted from Chase's red-card, but 10-man Witchford grabbed a late 2-1 winner when Aaron Spencer's shot was blocked by the goalkeeper and Michael Ward steered the loose ball home.

Witchford had initially taken the lead after five minutes, with a long clearance by goalkeeper Michael Vincent eluding the Over defence and Tom Parrish capitalising with a ferocious volley into the roof of the net.


Burwell Swifts Reserves returned empty-handed from their visit to Fenstanton Reserves, despite taking an early lead.

Tom Thatcher rounded the 'keeper after collecting a pass from Nick O'Leary, but his subsequent 18-yard effort fizzed against the underside of the bar and bounced out.

Fenstanton then scored twice before half-time, and Burwell goalkeeper Ryan King had to be replaced at the start of the second period.

Two more goals put the home side in control with just 10 minutes remaining, but man-of-the-match Thatcher scored twice to complete his hat-trick before missing a chance to equalise in the closing minutes.


Ely City A are out of the competition following a 5-2 home defeat at the hands of highly-rated Griffin Park.