Littleport Cup loss could be a blessing

CLIFF BULLEN CHALLENGE CUP QUARTER FINAL Littleport Town failed in their bid to reach the last four of the Challenge Cup, but that may be a blessing in disguise considering that they still have a minimum of 17 league and cup fixtures to fit in befo


Littleport Town failed in their bid to reach the last four of the Challenge Cup, but that may be a blessing in disguise considering that they still have a minimum of 17 league and cup fixtures to fit in before the end of the season.

'Port squandered chances whilst their opponents Over Sports made the most of theirs, and the visitors consequently trailed 2-0 prior to a goal from substitute Chris Wilson.

Over scored almost immediately with a deflected effort however, and eventually ran out 3-1 winners.


Fordham overcame bottom club Linton Granta 3-0, but club secretary John Pryke admitted that "the result was probably better than the performance."

Most Read

They started well and led after just five minutes when Jose Montero's cross found the head of Dan Langley, and Daren Pryke made it 2-0 after Langley's 15th minute effort had rebounded off the post.

The expected avalanche of goals did not materialise however, and Fordham had to wait until the 80th minute for their third goal, John Sands outpacing the Granta defence to score from Jamie Palmer's long pass.

"We did enough," concluded Pryke afterwards.


Ely City Reserves repeatedly hit Foxton on the break to record a 5-0 win.

David Cornwell broke the ice for the visitors, and Gary Dewsbury made it 2-0 with a great 25-yard strike.

Liam Hart was credited with a third goal before the break, and new signing Tom Hoppitt made it 4-0 before Cornwell wrapped things up 15 minutes from time.

Soham Town Rangers Reserves are still clinging to the coat-tails of the pacesetters after winning 4-1 at Lakenheath.

They fell behind at the start of the second half when Brad Waters gave away a penalty, but Alex Irvine got them back on terms and Scott Fretwell put them ahead for the first time.

Rangers added a third goal soon afterwards and Simon Farrow put the result beyond doubt with number four.

"That's the best we've played all season," said manager Steve Bye afterwards, "once we got ourselves sorted out and started to play some football."


Haddenham Rovers moved to within seven points of the leaders with a 4-1 win over bottom club JM Sports, but with only seven games remaining will do well to retain a top-six berth.

Will Ludbrooke marked his return from injury with the fifth minute opener from a Kenny Holmes cross, and soon afterwards Shane Freeland's 20-yarder made it 2-0.

Holmes added number three after good work by Ludbrooke, and the two strike partners combined well again just after the break for Haddenham's final goal.

Soham United player-manager Andy Parker was incensed as his side had five penalty appeals waved away during Saturday's 2-1 home defeat by Willingham.

Jim Brown put Soham ahead, but the visitors capitalised on defensive errors to lead by half-time and hung on grimly to claim all three points.


Sutton United will face local rivals Littleport Town Reserves for a place in the final of the competition after both sides recorded 4-3 wins to reach the last four.

Sutton led 3-1 at Great Chesterford thanks to Matthew Keys' treble, but the hosts got back on terms and it needed Ryan Bate's sweet volley to clinch the tie.

Chris Lupson - cup-tied for the first team - scored twice for 'Port Reserves as they came through at the expense of March Town United Reserves.

Cavan Bennett and Luke Hammett were also on target as the hosts edged home by the odd goal in seven.


Witchford '96 are now just a point adrift of leaders Longstanton after beating their rivals 3-0 away from home.

It was a close contest in the first half, but Aaron Spencer raced through from half-way to score and Witchford also had two attempts cleared off the line.

Ross Spencer headed a Billy Bowers free-kick in off the underside of the bar for Witchford's second, and Aaron Spencer capped a great team performance by adding a conclusive third goal after his initial effort had been blocked.

Ely City A meanwhile moved up to sixth - and are still not out of the promotion race - after winning 3-2 at Isleham United.

Goals from Stuart Seekings and Michael Chow were cancelled out by the home side, but City scored again with 10 minutes remaining for a lucky victory.


Pymoor FC moved into second spot after coming from behind to beat Fordham Reserves 5-3.

Fordham's Rees Theobald saw his opener cancelled out before half-time, but further goals from Clive Boucheron and Grant Pearson put Fordham in apparent control.

Pymoor were not done for however, and went on to score four more before the end.


There was a shock win for bottom of the table Haddenham Rovers Reserves on Saturday as striker Phil Harle claimed the only goal of the game at Mepal Sports.

Lone striker Harle struck after just two minutes and always looked a threat on the break, but it was just one of those days for Mepal who were failing to score in a match for the first time this season.

"It was like the 'Alamo' for 88 minutes," said Rovers boss Neil Smith afterwards. "If they (Mepal) had got one they would have got five, but it was still a well deserved win for our youngsters."

Burwell Swifts meanwhile dropped two vital points after a lacklustre display at Barton Mills Reserves.

The hosts led 1-0 and then scored direct from a corner to double their advantage, but Danny Jones pulled one back before half-time from Darren Brodie's clever pass.

Rich O'Neil nodded home a Mick Edwards cross to level the scores, but a set-piece goal saw Swifts trail again and the needed a late goal from Dave Benson to draw 3-3.

Lee Read put Sutton United Reserves ahead in the derby clash with Ely Crusaders, and his replacement Wayne Newman scored with his first touch to earn a 2-1 win.


Burwell Swifts Reserves were much improved as they defeated March Rangers Reserves 5-2 at home.

Tom Thatcher stabbed home a Lee Hobbs pass from 12 yards to open the scoring, and he added a second soon afterwards with a brilliant chip.

Thatcher went on to complete his hat-trick before half-time, and he subsequently made it 4-1 after getting in the way of Simon Hurrion's 25-yard shot.

Thatcher then turned provider for Dave Fordham to score number five before March grabbed a late consolation goal.

Little Downham Swifts Reserves lost 4-1 at promotion-chasing Walsoken United.


The Vine Reserves are through to the last four after goals from Mark Finbow and Ashley Dougan (2) in the last 25 minutes earned a 3-1 win at Barton, but Wicken Amateurs went down 2-1 against unbeaten Outwell Swifts Reserves after Josh Woodroffe capitalised on a Neil Masters throw-in to give them a 30th minute lead.

Outwell levelled before half-time however, and both teams missed chances before the hosts scored with a free-header from a corner 10 minutes from time.