Little Downham Edged Out By Somersham
LITTLE Downham were made to pay for a slovenly batting performance as they lost out by 65 runs to Somersham. Despite a tremendous recent run of form that has seen them score four victories in their last five games, Downham struggled to carry their winning
LITTLE Downham were made to pay for a slovenly batting performance as they lost out by 65 runs to Somersham.
Despite a tremendous recent run of form that has seen them score four victories in their last five games, Downham struggled to carry their winning momentum into the game and slipped to their eighth loss this season.
Sent in to the field first, Downham wasted no time in turning the screw on a shaky home batting line-up, who were forced to survive on a diet of singles thanks, largely, to the scrupulous accuracy of the visiting bowlers.
Robert Palmer (2-11) impressed with a miserly 10 over-spell which was ably assisted by the work of James White (2-24) and Peter Baker (2-29) who helped to ensure Somersham were bowled out for 129. The fine work of fielder Phil Cornwell also proved key as he pouched no less than four catches.
You may also want to watch:
Though they were excellent with the ball, Downham were seldom as comfortable with the bat and floundered from the first ball as Somersham proved themselves equally as adept at taking quick wickets.
Though the top order were dismissed for a worryingly diminutive total, a brief middle-order fight-back led by Nigel King (13) and Phil Cornwell (17) provided a glimmer of hope for Downham.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 9 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 10 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
With King and Cornwell dismissed however, Downham's stomach for the fight was also extinguished and the last five wickets fell for just eight runs, leaving the visitors all out for just 64.