Lightning swoops to sign top defender for Robins
ELY City manager Dennis Lightning has landed his number one summer target, in the shape of central-defender Brady Stone, who will make his first appearance in tonight s friendly against local rivals Soham. Stone joins Ely after an 18-month period at Cam
ELY City manager Dennis Lightning has landed his number one summer target, in the shape of central-defender Brady Stone, who will make his first appearance in tonight's friendly against local rivals Soham.
Stone joins Ely after an 18-month period at Cambridge City and the 20-year-old has been brought in to tighten up the Robins' defence for what Lightning expects to be a successful season.
The defender has also previously played for Cambridge United from a young age after he was spotted playing for Littleport Town Colts. After joining Cambridge United, Stone went on to progress through the ranks and he became a part of the reserve team on a regular basis.
Lightning said: "He was my main target for the summer, and I am delighted to have got him. He's a great all-round defender and he will be bring a lot to our team."
Lightning also praised the defender's presence in the dressing room: "Brady came along for a few games last season and he was a popular person then, so it is nice to add such a good character."
Stone said: "Ely is a good club with a great atmosphere, and I get on well with everyone. Dennis is a great manager, and he wants us all to play football, rather than just playing long-ball stuff."
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Replacement home not good enough says council
- 3 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 4 This Grade II listed Georgian home in Ely could be yours for £575,000
- 5 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 6 PROFILE: Steve Barclay – MP for NE Cambs and front man for Boris Johnson
- 7 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 8 Large Hotel of the Year winner is proud of its history
- 9 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 10 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
Stone is looking forward to making his bow for the Robins tonight at the Unwin Ground against local rivals Soham Town Rangers. He said: "It's always nice to start off with a local derby, and I hope we beat them."
The game kicks off at 7.45pm.