Lightning swoops to sign top defender for Robins
ELY City manager Dennis Lightning has landed his number one summer target, in the shape of central-defender Brady Stone, who will make his first appearance in tonight s friendly against local rivals Soham. Stone joins Ely after an 18-month period at Cam
ELY City manager Dennis Lightning has landed his number one summer target, in the shape of central-defender Brady Stone, who will make his first appearance in tonight's friendly against local rivals Soham.
Stone joins Ely after an 18-month period at Cambridge City and the 20-year-old has been brought in to tighten up the Robins' defence for what Lightning expects to be a successful season.
The defender has also previously played for Cambridge United from a young age after he was spotted playing for Littleport Town Colts. After joining Cambridge United, Stone went on to progress through the ranks and he became a part of the reserve team on a regular basis.
Lightning said: "He was my main target for the summer, and I am delighted to have got him. He's a great all-round defender and he will be bring a lot to our team."
You may also want to watch:
Lightning also praised the defender's presence in the dressing room: "Brady came along for a few games last season and he was a popular person then, so it is nice to add such a good character."
Stone said: "Ely is a good club with a great atmosphere, and I get on well with everyone. Dennis is a great manager, and he wants us all to play football, rather than just playing long-ball stuff."
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 5 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 6 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
Stone is looking forward to making his bow for the Robins tonight at the Unwin Ground against local rivals Soham Town Rangers. He said: "It's always nice to start off with a local derby, and I hope we beat them."
The game kicks off at 7.45pm.