Lightning strikes and nabs Alsop
ALAN Alsop will be assistant to Dennis Lightning at Ely City FC next season. Robins boss Lightning made his first back-room appointment earlier this week when he swooped for the former Mildenhall Town reserve team manager, 47, who lives in Ely. Lightning
ALAN Alsop will be assistant to Dennis Lightning at Ely City FC next season.
Robins' boss Lightning made his first back-room appointment earlier this week when he swooped for the former Mildenhall Town reserve team manager, 47, who lives in Ely.
Lightning confirmed: "We've had a couple of chats over the last few weeks and he's confirmed that he wants to be involved next season.
"He comes very highly-recommended from Trevor Munns [Mildenhall manager] and that's good enough for me. He tells me that he's good in the dressing-room and can see things out on the pitch.
You may also want to watch:
"I'm not one to do everything by myself and I've told Alan that I will be working very closely with him. Alan knows his stuff."
Alsop said: "It was an opportunity for me to work at Ridgeons League level and to link up with Dennis, who's been there and done it. We are both winners and it will be good experience for me."
- 1 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 2 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 8 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 9 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 10 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
Alsop was a former under-16 manager at Cambridge City, where he worked closely with former academy director Jez George.
He made the switch to Recreation Way two years ago, when Hall linked up with City as part of their youth development programme.
Alsop is set to meet the club's committee on Monday evening.