Libam sets up cup triumph
RIDGEONS LEAGUE CUP GAMES Newmarket Town 1 Soham Town Rangers 3 CHARLES Libam scored twice against his former club as Soham rode past The Jockeys into the next round. The first half was a cagey affair but Soham found a breakthrough five minutes before ha
RIDGEONS LEAGUE CUP GAMES
Newmarket Town 1
Soham Town Rangers 3
CHARLES Libam scored twice against his former club as Soham rode past The Jockeys into the next round.
The first half was a cagey affair but Soham found a breakthrough five minutes before half-time, when Libam directed a header into the bottom corner after a free-kick from the right.
Libam doubled Soham's lead in the 70th minute with a stunning low drive from the right that found the left corner of the net. Ben Mhsisi pulled one back with a header, five minutes later, but Andy Furnell sealed the win in the 83rd minute by latching on to an under-hit back pass and rounding the goalkeeper.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 3 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 4 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 5 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 6 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 7 Pupils ensure 'Eel-izabeth' comes to life for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
- 9 'It's a gem of an untold story' - Ely author, Ellee shares new novel
- 10 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
n Soham's next match is at home to Norwich United on Saturday and they then play at Newmarket on Tuesday night.
Mildenhall Town 3
Saffron Walden Town 2
WAYNE Goddard scored his third goal in three days with a minute remaining to rescue Mildenhall.
Mildenhall were 2-0 up at half-time after Gareth Simpson collected Goddard's pass and fired into the corner and then six foot four inch striker Andrew Wood, making his debut after signing from Bury, muscled his way through the middle before firing into the right corner with Dan Heron chasing to ensure the ball rolled in.
But the first division opponents provided the Mildenhall players with a real test of character when they capitalised on some sloppy defending to bring the scores back to 2-2 with goals after 67th and 77th minute.
Then, as extra time loomed, Lewis Blois crossed superbly for Goddard to head home the winner to great celebrations.
n Mildenhall's next match is at home against Clacton Town on Saturday.
Ely City 7 Godmanchester Rovers 0
ELY slaughtered a lack-lustre Godmanchester side on Tuesday night. Nick Impey grabbed a double and James Reeves, Mark Johnson, Brady Stone, Martin Westcott and Darren Newman all scored as the Robins cruised to victory against the Ridgeons League First Division's bottom club.
n Ely's next match is away to Walsham Le Willows on Saturday.