League a big hit before it commences
THE new Ely Standard six-a-side league is to kick off this weekend and, due to its predicted success, a new Thursday night league is to start at the end of the month. Grading games took place at Ely Hockey Club s AstroTurf pitch on Sunday evening to deter
THE new Ely Standard six-a-side league is to kick off this weekend and, due to its predicted success, a new Thursday night league is to start at the end of the month.
Grading games took place at Ely Hockey Club's AstroTurf pitch on Sunday evening to determine which of the two divisions the 24 teams will play in.
Ross Spacey, from organisers Soccersixes, said: "We could not have wished for it to operate more smoothly than it did. The games were played in good spirit and officiated by top quality FA officials. I was very surprised at the number of spectators, there must have been more than 500 people there. The league kicks off for real this week and we are sure that for the next 22 weeks this will be a focal point as so many people seem to be interested.
# The Thursday night league is to kick off on October 26 and this will also be played at Ely Hockey Club and all teams wishing to take part should contact Soccersixes on 0870 3300888 or register online, by going to www.soccersixes.net
You may also want to watch:
There is still space for two more teams to enter the Sunday league and interested parties should contact Soccersixes as soon as possible.
Results from the grading games: Fowlers 2 Witchford Blazers 0, East Camp Falcons 0 Eastern Recycling 5, Preditors 1 Pros and Cons 3, Underdogs 1 Soham 6, Alexamders 1 Heat 1, Waitrose 6 Littleport 0, Monksake 1 West End 2, Mildenhall 1 Top of the North, Ubergeist 1664 1 Mild Res 1.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 3 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 4 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 5 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 6 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 7 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 8 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 9 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 10 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound