Late goal salvages a point in frantic finish
RIDGEONS LEAGUE, PREMIER DIVISION Newmarket Town 2 Mildenhall Town 2 SUBSTITUTE Coren Hardy s late strike rescued a point for an under-par Mildenhall on Tuesday night. Newmarket took the lead in the 20th minute when their busy midfielder Matt Lilley broke
RIDGEONS LEAGUE, PREMIER DIVISION
Newmarket Town 2 Mildenhall Town 2
SUBSTITUTE Coren Hardy's late strike rescued a point for an under-par Mildenhall on Tuesday night.
Newmarket took the lead in the 20th minute when their busy midfielder Matt Lilley broke free and lobbed Josh Pope.
The remainder of the half was a disjointed affair with Mildenhall strikers Craig Hammond and Neal Docking starved of possession and Newmarket's main threat coming from their enormous throw-ins.
The visitors came out fired up in the second half and pulled level when defender Simon Head tapped in from close range after a corner.
- 1 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 2 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 3 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 4 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 5 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 6 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 7 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 8 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 9 Students ‘over the moon’ to receive letter from The Queen during project
- 10 Inclusivity at the heart of Dr Pip's goals ahead of Ely by-election
Hammond forced a good save after Newmarket were caught dallying at the back but, after a quick break, Lilley struck his second goal to re-establish Newmarket's lead just after the hour mark.
Hardy replaced Lawrence Church in the 70th minute as Mildenhall moved to a 4-3-3 formation.
After a period of sustained pressure Gareth Simpson looped a header on to the crossbar after a corner and Hardy pounced to tap in from three yards in the 87th minute.
A frantic finish ensued with both teams pushing for victory.
Newmarket midfielder Andy Pettit lobbed Pope in the 89th minute but hit the post before his team-mate Ben Mhisi screwed a volley wide after a good cross from Lilley.
Hammond's shot straight at the Newmarket goalkeeper after a goalmouth scramble following a corner was the final kick of the game.