Late goal salvages a point in frantic finish
RIDGEONS LEAGUE, PREMIER DIVISION Newmarket Town 2 Mildenhall Town 2 SUBSTITUTE Coren Hardy s late strike rescued a point for an under-par Mildenhall on Tuesday night. Newmarket took the lead in the 20th minute when their busy midfielder Matt Lilley broke
RIDGEONS LEAGUE, PREMIER DIVISION
Newmarket Town 2 Mildenhall Town 2
SUBSTITUTE Coren Hardy's late strike rescued a point for an under-par Mildenhall on Tuesday night.
Newmarket took the lead in the 20th minute when their busy midfielder Matt Lilley broke free and lobbed Josh Pope.
You may also want to watch:
The remainder of the half was a disjointed affair with Mildenhall strikers Craig Hammond and Neal Docking starved of possession and Newmarket's main threat coming from their enormous throw-ins.
The visitors came out fired up in the second half and pulled level when defender Simon Head tapped in from close range after a corner.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 5 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 6 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 7 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 10 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
Hammond forced a good save after Newmarket were caught dallying at the back but, after a quick break, Lilley struck his second goal to re-establish Newmarket's lead just after the hour mark.
Hardy replaced Lawrence Church in the 70th minute as Mildenhall moved to a 4-3-3 formation.
After a period of sustained pressure Gareth Simpson looped a header on to the crossbar after a corner and Hardy pounced to tap in from three yards in the 87th minute.
A frantic finish ensued with both teams pushing for victory.
Newmarket midfielder Andy Pettit lobbed Pope in the 89th minute but hit the post before his team-mate Ben Mhisi screwed a volley wide after a good cross from Lilley.
Hammond's shot straight at the Newmarket goalkeeper after a goalmouth scramble following a corner was the final kick of the game.