Last Gasp Wisbech Deny Robins
A STOPPAGE time goal broke Ely hearts on Tuesday night as the Robins went down 2-1 at Wisbech Town. Denis Lightning s men battled tirelessly in miserable conditions to snatch an equalising goal in the 89th minute, only for a smash and grab raid in stoppag
A STOPPAGE time goal broke Ely hearts on Tuesday night as the Robins went down 2-1 at Wisbech Town.
Denis Lightning's men battled tirelessly in miserable conditions to snatch an equalising goal in the 89th minute, only for a smash and grab raid in stoppage time to rob them of a point.
A lamentably drab first-half performance from both sides saw the scores remain level as passes went awry and possession proved fleeting. The Robins were unlucky not to have been awarded a penalty midway through the half, when Wisbech's Anthony Reeve hauled down an onrushing striker only for the referee to wave away the decision.
The deadlock was finally broken in the 66th minute as former Soham striker Darren Jimson broke away to net for the Fenman. Ely settled in the aftermath of the goal and laid siege to the Wisbech area in search of a way back into the match.
You may also want to watch:
They netted an arguably deserved equaliser with just a minute to go, but their joy was short lived as just two minutes later Wisbech's Scott Cubberly pounced on a loose ball to fire the winner.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 Labour backs calls for extra Covid-19 safety measures in schools