Last gasp Stanley nicks it for Soham
- Credit: Archant
Football Soham Town Rangers 3 Burnham Ramblers 2
An injury-time winner from Luke Stanley kept Soham in the hunt for the league title as they edged past Burnham on Saturday.
Soham seemed to be heading for an unexpected defeat with 15 minutes left as they trailed their opponents 2-1 but goals from Jordan Gent, after 79 minutes, and Stanley, in the 91st minute, turned the match on its head.
The crucial win kept Steve Fallon’s side level on points with VCD Athletic at the top of the Ryman Division One North, albeit the Greens having played four games more than their rivals.
Having been without competitive football for almost a fortnight owing to the poor weather, Soham were a little off the pace at the start of the match, with visitors Burnham keen on taking the game to Fallon’s side.
You may also want to watch:
Enol Ordonez was pressed into action to turn Billy Hunt’s shot around the post before, somewhat against the run of play, Soham took the lead.
Penned in a corner, Stanley cut back for veteran Martin Bromwich and it was his cross that was met by Buster Harradine, who nodded past Louis Godwin-Green. Burnham picked up the pace in the second half and drew level just three minutes in as Hunt crossed into a packed penalty box and Mark Sisson applied the finishing touch amid a tangle of bodies.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
And the visitors took the lead shortly after the hour mark as the lively Hunt again proved a nuisance, slipping his marker before latching on to a low cross from wide and poking past Ordonez.
Soham ramped up the pressure after falling behind and saw chances for Ben Sawyer and Stanley slip wide before, in the 79th minute, Gent headed home Connor Wood’s free-kick.
The come back was complete in the dying seconds as Stanley finished well from Wood’s low cross into the box.
The Greens are back in action again on Saturday when they travel to Tilbury. Kick off is 3pm.