Ladies left adrift as Bourne take initiative

Ely City 0 Bourne Deeping 2

ELY left it too late before coming out of their shell against a physical Bourne side on Saturday.

Gemma Voutt’s ladies were already two-goals behind when they finally clicked into gear, laying siege to the Deeping goal in a frantic final 20 minutes.

Despite a series of good chances however, it wasn’t to be for Ely, who remain in ninth place in Division 2NW ahead of the weekend’s trip to basement side Horncastle.

A reticent start from the home side allowed Bourne to seize the initiative early on and, with just 10 minutes gone, keeper Laura Tuck was called on to make a fine reaction save to keep a penalty corner out.

Just a few minutes later however, the visitors moved into the lead as a pass hit from deep was flicked on at the top of the D and into the corner of the goal.

Ely had a good opportunity to restore parity just five minutes later with a precision ball from midfield setting their attack free, only for the quick reactions of the Bourne goalkeeper to deny them as she scrambled the ball clear.

Most Read

The home side went closer still on the half-hour mark but, with the goalkeeper beaten, the ball was clipped off the line by a covering defender.

The visitors were an ever-present threat on the counter attack however, and missed two excellent chances to extend their lead in the minutes before half-time, both coming from crosses fired in from the wings.

Bourne looked the better side at the start of the second half and made their momentum pay dividends as they moved into a 2-0 lead little more than 10 minutes in the half, a goal mouth scramble being forced home.

Jo Rayner raced through on goal with an hour gone but, again, the goalkeeper was quick to react and scampered off her line to clear.

Milly Gent had an excellent run and shot slip narrowly wide and Annie Radcliffe began to dictate play in the midfield as Ely stepped up their charge but it came too late as Bourne held out for the win.