Korfball: Fresh-faced Vikings notch up debut wins ahead of target
THE Vikings have been going from strength to strength with a string of good performances and a cash boost of almost £7,000 for the club. The newest korfball club in Cambridgeshire, which is based in Ely, received a £6,987 grant from the Littleport-based A
THE Vikings have been going from strength to strength with a string of good performances and a cash boost of almost £7,000 for the club.
The newest korfball club in Cambridgeshire, which is based in Ely, received a £6,987 grant from the Littleport-based ACRE, the Cambridgeshire branch of the Local Network Fund, which helps children and young people.
Laura Matthews, who plays for the club, said: "The money will go towards essential new equipment including a new kit for the under-16 team who are about to embark on the National Championships in Kent."
The first and second teams both picked up their first competitive wins recently.
A Laura Matthews hat-trick helped the first team beat Cambridge City III 5-2, whilst the second team beat Cambridge Tigers away 2-0, with youngster Sam Duffield scoring both goals.
In their most recent match the second team came desperately close to pulling off a shock result against Littleport Lions IV. But after a thrilling match the Lions, featuring a National League player, won 4-3 with the decisive goal coming in the dyeing minutes.
- 1 Popular food and leisure hub plans win over planners
- 2 £4.8m loan to transform office block into flats repaid
- 3 Take a look inside £600,000 period home with 'outstanding charm'
- 4 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 5 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 6 Santas learn how to put the Ho Ho Ho into Christmas
- 7 New deadline for £6m crematorium decision
- 8 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 9 Here’s what you can expect at Ely Folk Festival 2022
- 10 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
Vikings head coach Lee Matthews said: "The players have come on leaps and bounds and I really did not expect to get a win this side of Christmas, but the players are working hard in training and the great team-work is paying off."
n To find out more about Vikings Korfball Club, contact Laura Matthews on 01353 648568 or via e-mail: email@example.com