Kirk comes out on top in Ely Sailing Club’s Topper Open
- Credit: Archant
Youngster Kirk Stamford sailed to success as Ely Sailing Club hosted its annual Topper Open event.
The club welcomed three guest sailors last weekend, and Stamford began his day of success by taking victory in the first race, overcoming a wind shift to finish in first.
Kirk’s brother, Chandler, claimed the bragging rights on a new course in race number two, before visitor James Denny won his first race of the afternoon in the third race.
It was all to play for going into the fourth and final race, with Chandler, Kirk and James all tied on points.
Chandler raced into an early lead, but was soon overtaken by his brother, who used the calm conditions to his advantage to seal a second and pivotal win, giving him the overall victory over Chandler and James, who finished second and third respectively.
You may also want to watch:
The Topper Open was followed by the Summer Series, and Simon Leeks claimed two first places, with Gary Ungless and Kevin Bilham sealing one second place apiece.
- 1 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 9 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 10 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut