King’s Ely trio triumph at annual Ball Cup Spring Regatta
- Credit: Archant
Forty of King’s Ely’s rowing prodigies headed to the capital last weekend for the annual Ball Cup Spring Regatta, with three youngsters scooping gold medals.
Senior and international students took to the water on the Olympic Course in London last week, with Emily Moore, Rahera Greatrex and Holly Lancaster gaining the plaudits after rowing to first place in their heats.
Emily stormed out the blocks to take gold in her race, with Rahera and Holly easing to success in their respective finals.
Christina Fialova and Emma Tarshish produced a Leicester City-style performance in the J18. They scraped into the final after a bad heat and were last out of the blocks, but an impressive recovery saw them shift through the field and end up half a length off the gold at the finish – a brilliant result, especially as it was Emma’s second ever race.
A number of other rowers won silver or bronze on a very successful day for King’s Ely rowing. Unfortunately, high winds made the course unsafe for some events to run, so a large portion of the group did not get to race.
You may also want to watch:
Mark Beer, head of rowing at King’s Ely, said: “It was great to see this dynamic and energetic squad of student-athletes getting out and racing on the London Olympic course. It’s always going to be tough and tight racing over a short course in challenging conditions.
“There were some fantastic races and it was really pleasing to see all the hard work done in training begin to pay off for our students.”
- 1 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 2 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'