King’s Ely diving starlet Daniel makes waves at countywide Harley Winster Trophy Gala
- Credit: Archant
A youngster from King’s Ely is making a splash in the sport of diving.
Daniel Millard, 11, recently won the Novice Trophy at the annual Harley Winster Trophy Gala, which saw young divers from across Cambridgeshire competing at Parkside Pools in Cambridge.
The competition is held each year in memory of young Cambridge club diver, Harley Winster.
Daniel, who is a pupil at King’s Ely Junior, performed dives from the 1m and 3m spring boards, as well as the 5m platform board, and chalked up enough points to be presented with the Novice Trophy and Gold Medal by Harley’s mother, Jenny Winster.
Daniel, from Stuntney, only started Learn to Dive classes at Parkside Pools in January 2015. Since then he has moved to the Dive Team’s Novice Squad and is currently training two evenings each week after school.
Head of King’s Ely Junior, Richard Whymark, said: “Daniel has worked very hard since taking up the sport. He has shown great commitment in order to make such excellent progress.
“Daniel’s achievements demonstrate that determination and excellent coaching can take you far.
- 1 Two food businesses closed after cockroach infestations found
- 2 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 3 Missing woman back home
- 4 Pastor in freedom of speech and job fight over Pride tweet
- 5 Petition launched to save village pub
- 6 Pub company comes out fighting to keep controversial cuppa sign
- 7 College pupils bring School of Rock to life on stage
- 8 Father accused of baby daughter's murder gave her squash, court told
- 9 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 10 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
“We are very pleased to see him pursuing his diving ambitions so successfully.”