King’s Ely diving starlet Daniel makes waves at countywide Harley Winster Trophy Gala
- Credit: Archant
A youngster from King’s Ely is making a splash in the sport of diving.
Daniel Millard, 11, recently won the Novice Trophy at the annual Harley Winster Trophy Gala, which saw young divers from across Cambridgeshire competing at Parkside Pools in Cambridge.
The competition is held each year in memory of young Cambridge club diver, Harley Winster.
Daniel, who is a pupil at King’s Ely Junior, performed dives from the 1m and 3m spring boards, as well as the 5m platform board, and chalked up enough points to be presented with the Novice Trophy and Gold Medal by Harley’s mother, Jenny Winster.
Daniel, from Stuntney, only started Learn to Dive classes at Parkside Pools in January 2015. Since then he has moved to the Dive Team’s Novice Squad and is currently training two evenings each week after school.
You may also want to watch:
Head of King’s Ely Junior, Richard Whymark, said: “Daniel has worked very hard since taking up the sport. He has shown great commitment in order to make such excellent progress.
“Daniel’s achievements demonstrate that determination and excellent coaching can take you far.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 8 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 9 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
- 10 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
“We are very pleased to see him pursuing his diving ambitions so successfully.”