King’s Ely 1st XI football squad win Mercian League for second year running
- Credit: Archant
King’s Ely’s 1st XI football team have been crowned Mercian League Champions for the second year running.
The squad sealed the Mercian Under 18 Football League title on March 17 with a 4-2 win against Wellingborough School, who were also in with a chance of winning the league.
King’s Ely’s goal scorers were Arthur Plews, who scored a hat-trick and Daniel Harradine, who scored the fourth goal.
King’s remained unbeaten in the league, winning five of their matches against Oundle, Wellingborough, Stowe, Oakham and Bedford.
The sixth match was a 2-2 draw against Loughborough. In total, King’s players scored 16 goals and conceded four goals from the six matches.
Kevin Daniel, head of physical education, said: “Everyone is thrilled for the 1st XI team as their league win is thoroughly deserved.
“Success was due to our well organised defensive play with a quick press, which stifled the opposition.
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
- 3 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 4 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 5 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 6 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 7 Hand clinic offering additional type of treatment for arthritis sufferers
- 8 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 9 Princess Anne visits Wisbech's new Citizens Advice Bureau on Cambs trip
- 10 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
“Captain Harry Webster was an inspirational leader and quick-fire striker Arthur Plews scoring nine of the sixteen league goals.”