King’s Ely 1st XI football squad win Mercian League for second year running
- Credit: Archant
King’s Ely’s 1st XI football team have been crowned Mercian League Champions for the second year running.
The squad sealed the Mercian Under 18 Football League title on March 17 with a 4-2 win against Wellingborough School, who were also in with a chance of winning the league.
King’s Ely’s goal scorers were Arthur Plews, who scored a hat-trick and Daniel Harradine, who scored the fourth goal.
King’s remained unbeaten in the league, winning five of their matches against Oundle, Wellingborough, Stowe, Oakham and Bedford.
The sixth match was a 2-2 draw against Loughborough. In total, King’s players scored 16 goals and conceded four goals from the six matches.
You may also want to watch:
Kevin Daniel, head of physical education, said: “Everyone is thrilled for the 1st XI team as their league win is thoroughly deserved.
“Success was due to our well organised defensive play with a quick press, which stifled the opposition.
- 1 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 8 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 9 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 10 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
“Captain Harry Webster was an inspirational leader and quick-fire striker Arthur Plews scoring nine of the sixteen league goals.”