Kershaw Premier League Weekend Football Round-up

Local football round-up By Gareth Draper Kershaw Premier League IT was a good week for Ely City Reserves as they plundered four points from their two games at home to local rivals Fordham and away to Foxton. The local derby versus Fordham was full of

Local football round-up

By Gareth Draper

Kershaw Premier League

IT was a good week for Ely City Reserves as they plundered four points from their two games at home to local rivals Fordham and away to Foxton. The local derby versus Fordham was full of chances in the first half as Ely and the visitors both squandered great opportunities with Ely hitting the woodwork twice and Fordham failing with numerous one-on-ones with the 'keeper. The second half also stayed goal-free and both sides left with a point each as the game ended 0-0.

Ely did hit the net on the Saturday as they played out an entertaining 3-2 victory at Foxton. The Robins Reserves were 1-0 in the lead at half time through an excellent Adam Clements edge of the box effort. They soon found themselves down by two goals to one though, as Foxton fought back and, to make matters worse, Ely's Simon Farrow was sent off for foul and abusive language. Unperturbed, Ely levelled it up with sub Adam Salmons notching and Matt Keys ghosted in to hit the winner for the now rocking Robins.

Littleport Town could only manage one point from their two matches this week as they lost at home to runaway League leaders Cambridge University Press in midweek and drew at Cottenham on the Saturday. Michael Emms was the only scorer for 'Port as rampant Press ran out winners by a narrow 2-1 margin. Luke Butcher must have thought his double and Andrew "Spud" Lee's effort would be enough to take the points at Cottenham but the home side were not to be beaten as they scored three themselves to end the match as a 3-3 draw.

Most Read

Fordham followed up their draw with Ely Reserves with a tight 1-0 defeat at Hundon who only scored with 10 minutes to go. This makes next week's crunch game against fellow strugglers Needingworth even more vital for Fordham.

Senior A

SOHAM Town Rangers Reserves entertained Chatteris Town under the lights in midweek and must have made them a bit too welcome as Chatteris took advantage of a second half slump from Rangers to net four goals without reply after a scoreless first half. More misery came for Soham when goalkeeper Jamie Chamberlain was given his marching orders for deliberate handball outside his box and this led to one of Chatteris' goals on a chastening evening for The Greens.

Senior B

SOHAM United picked up what could be a very useful away point at Fowlmere as they led through a Jonathon Brown first half effort before being pegged back by a resilient Fowlmere outfit that had been bolstered by some recent signings and an inspired goalkeeping display. Soham's promotion rivals Wisbech St Mary and West Row Gunners both lost though so boss Andy Parker was "delighted" with the point.

Haddenham Rovers swept Saffron Crocus aside as they raced to a 5-0 lead after only 60 minutes, with Martin Baxter opening the scoring with a fine effort from 20 yards after only 10 minutes of the game. Ross Spencer beat one man and then finished with aplomb from a similar distance to double the lead, and hugely experienced Darren Woodbridge soon made it three as he rolled back the years with a super finish. Will Ludbrooke scored yet another close range goal to make it four and Richie O'Hara scored the fifth before Crocus scored two consolation efforts to leave the final scoreline 5-2 to Rovers.

Ely City A at last found some away form to win in handsome fashion by four goals to two at the home of West Wratting Reserves. This was sweet revenge for the defeat Wratting handed out to City earlier this month.

Div 1B

IT all clicked at last for Littleport Town Reserves as they handed out a 4-2 home hiding to Elsworth Sports, who had knocked 'Port out of the Junior Challenge Cup last month. Boss Mark Talbot had some "inspirational" words to pass on to his mercurial side before the game and this did the trick as they cruised to a four goal lead after only 35 minutes. Nathan Bennett opened the scoring with Jamie "Scrubber" Dews adding the second. Stylish midfielder Craig Dorn then grabbed a brace as 'Port sewed up the points with just under two-thirds of the game left to play. Sports managed to net two in the minutes that remained but the result was never in doubt even though Scott "Barn Door" Dews conspired to miss a golden chance for Town from barely two yards out.

The bottom of the table clash between Sutton United and Bottisham Sports ended in a 1-1 draw which helps neither team in their fight for survival. Billie-Joe Tillard scored for home side United for the second time in two weeks but this was levelled before the final whistle as both teams left with just a single point to add to their low tallies.

Div 2B

THE Vine made a great comeback after falling two goals behind to Burwell Swifts, to win by 7-2. Grant Spencer pulled one back for the home team with a right foot half volley, before Jon Cutter equalised with a diving header on the stroke of half time. The second half was an entirely different affair as The Vine dominated proceedings. Jon Cutter slid in to convert a fantastic near post cross from James Smith, and Spencer lashed home his second after good link-up between the two forwards. Kinder Mann continued his recent goal scoring run with two clinical finishes and Spencer completed his hat trick with a high drive from just outside the box as The Vine's pursuit of promotion continued to gather speed.

Witchford '96 went nap again for the second week running away to Godmanchester Rovers Reserves as their recent run of good form rumbled on. Top scorer and goal-a-game man Michael Ward led the way with a hat trick with the in-form Richard Martin and Michael Sellers adding the extras as they won by a fabulous 5-1 scoreline.

Pymoor's recent resurgence kept going apace with a splendid single goal away win against March Rangers. Rob Parker was the goal scoring hero as Pymoor won their third game on the trot.

Div 3B

ELY Crusaders were the victors by 2-1in the top of the table local derby clash with Little Downham Swifts. Swifts only highlight was a goal from Ray Miller at the end but Crusaders were the better team as they went 2-0 in the lead through James Collins and Ali Msabaha to leapfrog Swifts and take fourth position in the League.

Fordham Reserves were handed a crushing home defeat by Chatteris Town Reserves by 6-1 as Chatteris' promotion chasers put them to the sword even though Alex Smith scored a great goal on his comeback from a severe injury to make it 2-1 just after half time. Chatteris then moved through the gears to ease to victory.

In the other local games in this Section, Stretham Hotspurs earned a creditable 2-2 draw away to Brampton Reserves, Mepal Sports suffered a humbling 4-0 away defeat to League Leaders Earith and Isleham drew 1-1at home to Wisbech St Mary A.

Div 4B

STEVE Dalby was the two goal hero for Soham United Reserves in their 2-1 victory over fellow local side Haddenham Rovers Reserves. Rovers gained the lead through a goal from a corner from Sam Barber but Dalby started and finished a flowing move to equalize for United - it stayed that way until the half time break. Soham keeper, Mick Tickner pulled off some fine saves to stave off more Rovers pressure before a moment of inspiration from Dalby saw him lob the Rovers keeper from 35 yards to take the spoils for table-climbing United.

Wicken Amateurs suffered a 3-0 away defeat to second placed Fenstanton Reserves in the other local game in this Section.

Div 5C

SUTTON United Reserves led 2-1 with half time approaching away to fellow strugglers Little Downham Reserves and sensed their first victory of the season may be within their grasp but Swifts rallied and turned the game on its head to win by 6-2. Clive Metcalfe cracked in a screamer to open the scoring for Swifts before Daniel Twinn spotted Swifts' goalie Dan Coston off his line and chipped it over him to score from 40 yards out. Richard Rowe made it 2-1 for United as they took advantage of more errant defending. Gareth Draper equalized with a header from a corner just before half time and then almost straight away a controversial penalty was awarded to Swifts for what appeared to be accidental handball. Dan Hines was in no mood to be lenient though as he struck the spot kick hard and low and into the back of the net. Sub Mark Yardy combined well with Draper to make it 4-2 and Hines then grabbed his second from two inches out to make it 5-2 before the scoring and the game was wrapped up with Liam Boyd adding a sixth. This was Swifts' third victory on the bounce in a remarkable turnaround in their fortunes.

Mepal Sports Reserves' assault on the top of the table gathered further momentum as they beat Burwell Swifts A by 3-1 at home. Sam Morgan got the first for Sports just before half time and Chris Axford added a second on 65 minutes. Top scorer Mark Finbow made victory certain with his side's third as Swifts could only score one in reply.

Witchford '96 Reserves claimed all three points as Swavesey Institute Reserves failed to provide a team.