Karting starlet King to take part in F1-backed race series
- Credit: Archant
Kart racer Bryony King will compete in the Formula 1-backed Formula Kart stars series in 2015.
The 16-year-old, from Ely, will be supported by British racing driver Alice Powell who will be mentoring her throughout the season.
In 2014, Bryony competed in Mini Max and Junior X30 coming away Vice Kimbolton Kart Club Champion, third in the Junior X30 Trent Valley Kart Club Winter Series Championship and second in the British Women’s Racing Drivers Club Kart Championship.
The Ely College student was also selected for the Arden-back Young Racing Driver Academy in 2014, “possessing all the right attributes to make a real mark in the male dominated sport” according to the academy’s chief executive, Jamie Horner.
Formula Kart Stars is a British based Karting Championship, which is supported by Bernie Ecclestone and Formula One Management (FOM).
You may also want to watch:
Current double Formula 1 Champion Lewis Hamilton is a patron of the series and raced in the category on his way up the ladder to F1.
King said: “I’m thrilled to be competing in the Formula Kart Stars Championship in the coming season. I very much enjoyed my time with them at the British Grand Prix last year, when they first announced the 2015 format, and look forward to racing under a very prestigious name.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 9 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 10 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
“I would like to say a big thank you to everyone who has enabled me to compete - bring it on!”