Junior Football Round-up in East Cambs

JUNIOR FOOTBALL JUNIOR CHALLENGE CUP FIRST ROUND SUTTON United are the only local side through to the Second Round of the competition as five teams – including their opponents Stretham Hotspurs – were all beaten away from home. In the derby clash between



SUTTON United are the only local side through to the Second Round of the competition as five teams - including their opponents Stretham Hotspurs - were all beaten away from home.

In the derby clash between Sutton and Stretham it was the visitors who took the lead following a fumble by stand-in United goalkeeper Craig Faux, but Wayne Newman got the home side back on terms with a looping long range effort.

The scores were still level at the break, but Sutton took control in the second half and Matthew Keys scored four times - including two headers - to make it 5-1 before Shaun Bristow wrapped things up with a sixth goal in the closing stages.

Ely City A led twice in their tie at Girton United Reserves, but were eventually beaten by the odd goal in five.

Most Read

Wayne Holden opened the scoring for City, and his side regained the lead when Anthony Brumby's cross was palmed into the net by the home goalkeeper.

The hosts got back on terms again however, and then went on to clinch victory in extra-time.

It was a similar story for Witchford '96 as they established a 2-0 lead at Longstanton before losing out.

They still led by virtue of Aaron Spencer's double with only 15 minutes remaining, but the home side gradually cranked up the pressure and missed several gilt-edged chances before eventually coming through 4-2.

Pymoor FC lost 3-1 at Leverington Sports Reserves, and The Vine also conceded three as they departed without scoring at Bottisham Sports.


"THE best we've played for a long, long time." That was the assessment of Fordham secretary John Pryke after his team's spirited performance against league leaders Fulbourn Institute on Saturday.

"It was a cracking match," added Pryke, "and it's a shame we didn't take anything from the game, even though we deserved to."

Daren Pryke thought he had put the hosts in front on 42 minutes, but his 'goal' was inexplicably ruled out by the linesman's flag. "That would have been such a huge psychological blow," said secretary Pryke.

Fordham did eventually take the lead when Pryke fired home from the penalty spot following a 50th minute foul on Adam Curtis, but Fulbourn equalised following a corner and then struck what proved to be the winner with 20 minutes remaining.

Fordham suffered with injuries towards the end of the match, and their relatively small squad is just about stretched to its limits.

"We need to get some bodies back," concluded Pryke. "We've got seven players missing from the squad since the start of the season."

Littleport Town meanwhile remain unbeaten in the league after beating last season's champions Waterbeach.

Ben Layn's 35th minute diving header was goalbound but was touched over the line by Jack Jordan to put 'Port in front, and Liam Hart doubled the advantage with a great second half finish.

Matt Nixon's foul enabled the visitors to pull one back from the penalty spot with three minutes remaining, but 'Port held on for a 2-1 success.

"I'd say we deserved it," said Town boss Dave Cullum afterwards. "Although they (Waterbeach) had a fair bit of possession, they never really hurt us."


ELY City Reserves came from a goal down to beat Parson Drove '92 in the First Round of the competition.

They trailed at half-time as Martin Grey conceded a penalty, but Chris Lupson equalised immediately after the restart.

Joe Barham then made it 2-1 following a quickly-taken free-kick, and Dean Salmons put the result beyond doubt with a third goal towards the finish.


SOHAM Town Rangers Reserves remain third in this section after a 2-0 home victory against Comberton United.

Goals from Tommy Crawford and Mark Allen earned Rangers the three points.


SOHAM United are up to fifth spot after what player-manager Andy Parker described as "a really funny game" at Saffron Crocus.

"We started off like a team that had just lost 11-0," said Parker, which of course is exactly what happened to his side in last week's cup tie at Whittlesey United.

Soham soon found themselves a goal down "and it could have been three" according to the United boss.

Goalkeeper Gavin Wiseman made a great save before Crocus broke the ice, and the hosts then hit the post with a penalty as Soham threatened to capitulate once more.

They re-grouped however, and a superb header from Lee Heading got them back on level terms before half-time.

Bobby Fenn's unfortunate own goal put Crocus back in front, but substitute Jonathan Brown levelled the scores once more and Ben Brown's effort - which was going well wide - was volleyed into the net by a home defender for United's 3-2 winner.

Haddenham Rovers meanwhile lost their first league match of the season at home to leaders Milton.

They trailed 2-0 at the interval, but improved after the break and pulled one back through Kenny Holmes.

Milton restored their two-goal advantage with a cracking breakaway effort, and although a scrambled own goal renewed hope for Haddenham they were unable to retrieve the 3-2 deficit.

Littleport Town Reserves had Trevor Berry sent off after just 10 minutes in the match at Linton Granta, which they eventually lost 2-0.


LEAGUE leaders Burwell Swifts needed another late goal this week to preserve their 100% record at the expense of Ely Crusaders.

Ely broke the deadlock at the start of the second period, but with 15 minutes remaining a superb left-wing cross from Ben Cross enabled Carl Saxby to nod in the equaliser from six yards.

Then with time running out a diagonal ball from Mike Edwards released Alan Nash behind the right side of Ely's defence, and his cross-shot went in off the far post for what proved to be the 2-1 winner.

Burwell had been thankful to goalkeeper Pete Brown in between times however, his low right hand stop having prevented Crusaders from regaining the lead.

Isleham United likewise boast a perfect record in this section following their victory at Cottenham United A.

Sam James (2), Mark Reynolds and Stuart King were amongst the scorers as Isleham recorded a 5-3 success.

Mepal Sports went down by the only goal of the game at Huntingdon United RGE, and Soham United Reserves remain pointless at the foot of the table after going down 4-2 against unbeaten Chatteris Town Reserves.

They found themselves four goals down at the interval, but at least made a game of it in the second half with Ally Mohammed one of the players on target.

Little Downham Swifts meanwhile claimed their first win of the season at the expense of local rivals Fordham Reserves.

Gareth Draper headed home John Bartlett's free-kick to give Swifts a 1-0 lead at the break, and further goals from Mauro Cabral and Bartlett made it 3-0 before Shane Woodcock replied for the visitors.

Downham made the points safe however, when Aaron Hodson set up Dan Bell to make the final score 4-1.


HADDENHAM Rovers Reserves claimed their first points of the season with a surprise 5-2 victory at Wicken Amateurs, but The Vine Reserves were crushed 9-2 by leaders Estover Park.

Dan Cowley and Dave Abbott accounted for The Vine's consolation goals towards the end of each half.


NICK Samuels was in superb form on Saturday, scoring six of Isleham United Reserves' goals in the 7-0 demolition of City Life Reserves, with Danny Binns the other home player on the scoresheet.


ALLY McDonald was the lone marksman for 10-man Witchford '96 Reserves in the 4-1 defeat at Supercue, and Little Downham Swifts also went down, beaten 3-1 at Emneth Spartans.


WILL Ludbrooke helped himself to five goals as Witchford Raiders recorded a 7-4 win at Chippenham in Division 2A, and Giles Peacock claimed the other two.

QPR Ely also struck seven times as they beat Girton Eagles in Division 1A with the concession of two goals, but Little Downham United could only draw 2-2 at Alma Reserves in 3A.

Triple-S were locked 0-0 with Magpies 2001 midway through their Senior Division encounter, but the former champions were eventually beaten 5-3 despite taking the lead twice.

In the First Round of the Cambs FA - C J Murfitt Centenary Cup, West End United suffered a 2-1 home defeat against Long Rangers, and Little Thetford crashed 7-0 at Sutton Stirling Sunday.

Ely Pymore Rangers 3G made it through to the Second Round however, with goals from Stephen Evans (2 - 1 penalty), Joe Hulyer, Joe Featherstone and Stephen Footer enabling them to twice come from behind before handing hosts Swaffham United a 5-2 beating.