Junior Football Round-up

JUNIOR FOOTBALL KERSHAW LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION THERE was a goal drought for local sides in the top flight this week, as Ely City Reserves, Fordham and Littleport Town all failed to find the net. Ely City Reserves perhaps deserved a draw as they entertai




THERE was a goal drought for local sides in the top flight this week, as Ely City Reserves, Fordham and Littleport Town all failed to find the net.

Ely City Reserves perhaps deserved a draw as they entertained Fulbourn Institute in midweek, but the visitors took their chances and ran out 2-0 winners.

Ely then entertained local rivals Fordham on Saturday, with both sides looking for their first victory of the campaign. That situation remains unchanged following a goalless draw.

Most Read

Fordham felt that they had the best of the game, but were grateful for some fine saves from goalkeeper Grant Pearson in the closing stages.

Littleport Town were likewise involved in a goalless draw at Histon A, but at least managed to preserve their unbeaten start to the campaign.


6926HD0908/6912HD0908/6911HD0908 Action from Saturday's local derby between Ely City Reserves and Fordham.


SOHAM Town Rangers Reserves maintained their good start with a 2-1 home victory against newly-promoted Cherry Hinton.


HADDENHAM Rovers are now one of only three unbeaten sides in this section after recording a useful 4-2 win at Linton Granta.

The match was evenly contested at the start, but after falling behind in the 25th minute Rovers gradually got on top and equalised five minutes before the interval through Phil Harle.

John Lee then made it 2-1 on the hour, and Kenny Holmes scored twice before the hosts grabbed a late consolation goal.

"I'm very pleased," said Haddenham boss Andy Markwell afterwards.

Littleport Town Reserves lost 2-1 at home to Bluntisham Rangers despite a late goal from Scott Dews, and Soham United went down by the only goal of the game away to 100% leaders Chatteris Town.


ELY City A defeated Barton Mills 2-1 thanks to a double from Jamie Gayfer.


PYMOOR FC began the season in style, winning 7-3 at Sutton United.

Lewis Chambers - with some impressive finishing - and Sam Murfitt both contributed hat-tricks, and Alex Palmer was also on target for the visitors.

Billy Tillard's double reduced Sutton's deficit to a single goal at one stage, but Matthew Keys' late goal proved to be little more than a consolation effort.

Stretham Hotspurs meanwhile entertained March Rangers, and came from behind three times to salvage a point.

Leigh Iball converted a penalty kick after Josh Ashman had been brought down, but the visitors established a 2-1 lead at the interval.

Tyler Goodjohn levelled the scores again after Josh Ashman's shot had been saved, and with five minutes remaining 16-year old Sean Ashman made it 3-3.

Witchford '96 also earned a point from their first outing, drawing 1-1 at Milton Reserves.


BURWELL Swifts began their campaign with an impressive 5-1 win at Mepal Sports.

Tom Thatcher and Carl Saxby both scored twice, and new signing Darren Brodie was also on target for the visitors whilst Giles Peacock was the lone marksman for Mepal.

Jamie Peacock's first half goal enabled Fordham Reserves to win 1-0 at Soham United Reserves, but Little Downham Swifts had to settle for a 1-1 draw in their match at Huntingdon United RGE.


WICKEN Amateurs had to settle for a point after a topsy-turvy encounter with local rivals Exning Athletic.

Richard Murfitt's own goal put them in trouble early on, but Jamie Palmer equalised with a half-volley after receiving a long throw from Josh Woodroffe.

Exning went ahead again in the first half, but Ed Richardson made it 2-2 at the break.

Palmer struck again in the second period after Danny Wight's header had been saved, but Wicken trailed 3-4 with only five minutes remaining.

They were not to be denied however, and Neil Brennan made it 4-4 after more god work by Richardson.

Justin Challis's 10th minute goal failed to save The Vine Reserves from a 2-1 home defeat by Tydd United, and Haddenham Rovers Reserves were likewise beaten on home soil, with Stephen Easy the consolation goal scorer in a 4-1 reverse at the hands of Cambridge Community Church.


RYAN Lynch scored twice as Burwell Swifts Reserves opened with a 3-0 defeat of newcomers Cambridge Ambassadors.

Lynch was joined on the score sheet by Glenn Carman as Swifts ran out easy winners.


LITTLE Downham Swifts Reserves squandered a two-goal lead in their home clash with Chatteris Fen Tigers.

Ian Jenkins put them in front with a great header from a corner, and Gareth Draper doubled the advantage before defensive errors let Chatteris back in for a 2-2 draw.

Witchford '96 Reserves meanwhile began their season by beating Supercue 4-0.


IAN Walters grabbed a hat-trick as Wicken Maids Head came from a goal down to beat Arbury Akademiks in Division 3A.

In the same section Little Downham United - 6-0 winners of their opening game - crashed 8-0 at NCI, and in the Senior Division Triple-S also went down without scoring as they were beaten 2-0 by Shelford Falcons.

QPR Ely won 2-1 at Bar Hill Reserves in Division 1A thanks to goals from Martin Grey and Brady Stone, and in Division 2A Witchford Raiders were also successful away from home.

Fox Burwell scored twice, but goals from Ed Ideson (3), Tom Parrish (2) and Michael Ward earned the visitors a 6-2 win.

In Division Four Ely Pymore Rangers 3G found themselves 3-0 down after 35 minutes in the home clash with NST Strikers.

Stephen Footer pulled one back before the break, but NST added a fourth goal with 20 minutes remaining and it finished 4-1.