Junior football round-up

CLIFF BULLEN CHALLENGE CUP QUARTER-FINAL BOTH managers were red-carded in the aftermath of the tie between Ely City Reserves and Wimblington, but it was nevertheless Martin Blakeley s team that earned a semi-final meeting with Over Sports after a 5-2 win.


BOTH managers were red-carded in the aftermath of the tie between Ely City Reserves and Wimblington, but it was nevertheless Martin Blakeley's team that earned a semi-final meeting with Over Sports after a 5-2 win.

The five Ely goals were shared between Andrew Lee, James Salmons, Dave Cornwell, Richie Murfitt and Jose Monteiro.


WHILE Ely City Reserves were in cup action, they slipped two places down the league table to sixth as both Histon 'A' and Cambridge University Press moved above them following victories at Fordham and Littleport Town respectively.

Fordham lost 2-0 at home to Histon, whilst at Littleport the hosts unluckily went down 4-2 against Press.

Most Read

Nigel Smith's direct free-kick on the stroke of half-time cancelled out a 25th minute penalty conceded by Alan White, and Jack Jordan's angled drive made it 2-1 after a fine move at the start of the second period.

The visitors equalised with a direct free-kick of their own however, and two late goals left 'Port empty-handed despite a reasonable performance.


SOHAM Town Rangers Reserves are up to third in the table after a hard-fought 3-2 win at Hardwick.

Adam Clements was in outstanding form for the visitors, scoring himself and setting up a goal for Jason Lynch before a great solo run from half-way and clinical finish clinched the points.


LITTLEPORT Town Reserves ended a run of 13 league games without a win by taking the spoils at Huntingdon United RGE.

Scott Dews (2) and Mick Edwards were among the scorers in a surprise 4-1 win, but it was a stunning 45-yard first-time strike from Mark Yearn that broke Huntingdon's resolve.

Soham United, meanwhile, claimed their fifth win in six league outings at the expense of Helions Bumpstead.

First half goals from Steve Dalby and Dan Simmons were cancelled out by the visitors before the break, but Simmons restored United's lead and then rounded the goalkeeper to complete his hat-trick and a 4-2 scoreline which flattered the visitors.


ELY City 'A' suffered a surprise setback on Saturday against a Barton Mills side they had beaten 7-2 in their previous outing.

Jamie Gayfer was the lone marksman in a 4-1 home reverse.


SUTTON United moved three points clear at the top of the table after a highly-charged encounter with Somersham Town Reserves.

The visitors led twice in the opening half, but Matthew Keys got Sutton back on level terms each time and then claimed the 3-2 winner.

Witchford '96 kept in touch with the leading sides by winning 3-0 at bottom club Lode, and Pymoor FC also had three goals to spare in the 4-1 derby win at home to Stretham Hotspurs.

The Vine were held 0-0 at home by Over Sports Reserves.


MEPAL Sports gave their best display for a while as they won 4-1 at Haddenham Rovers Reserves.

Giles Peacock, Barry Silvain and Guy Habbin - with an overhead kick - put the visitors 3-0 up, and substitute Lee Isbell wrapped things up after Robert Duffy had pulled one back for Rovers.

The same scoreline saw Ely Crusaders overcome a poor Fordham Reserves side that started the game with 10 men.

Sam Rolph opened the scoring with a cross-cum-shot that deceived the goalkeeper, and Micky Warren's cross was met by a glancing header from Phil Shepherd for Ely's second.

Luke Schunmann and Wes Reid (penalty) then doubled the home advantage before Rory Havis capitalised on a midfield howler by James Collins for Fordham's consolation goal.

John Bartlett and Gareth Draper were on target in Little Downham Swifts' disappointing 2-2 draw with Bluntisham Rangers Reserves, but a late goal condemned Soham United Reserves to a 3-2 defeat at Brampton Reserves.


BURWELL Swifts are back up to third after man of the match Alan Nash - who caused problems with his speed on the right wing all afternoon - helped them thrash Swavesey Institute Reserves.

Nathan Hull converted Dave Fordham's pass for the only goal of the first half, but goals from Danny Jones, Mike Edwards, substitute Glen Carman - with his first touch - Jake Drake, Mark Chinery and Nash earned Swifts a 7-1 win.


LITTLE Downham Swifts Reserves made it five wins in a row at the expense of Wisbech St Mary 'B'.

Ben Amory volleyed home Nicky Martin's corner from 16 yards to put Downham ahead, and Swifts then had two 'goals' disallowed before Wisbech hit back to seize the initiative.

Steven Martin's spectacular 25-yarder redressed the balance however, and Paul Bone nodded in the 3-2 winner from Nicky Martin's last minute corner.


TOM Thatcher scored four times as Burwell Swifts Reserves earned a semi-final tie against Longstanton Reserves by beating Supercue 4-2 away.

Thatcher was unstoppable for Burwell, and James Pryor was also a colossal presence in the heart of the Swifts defence when the hosts threatened a comeback.


SENIOR Division Triple-S reached the last four of the Cambs FA Sunday Challenge Cup at the expense of high-flying 1B outfit Coton.

The home side pulled back to 3-2 at one stage, but Triple-S pulled away again as goals from Ben Howe (3), Ben Fuller (2) and Scott Fretwell eventually secured a 6-2 victory.

Ely Park Rangers Reserves dropped two valuable points and missed the opportunity to go top of Division 1A as they were held 2-2 by Cherry Hinton Sunday despite goals from Matt Brodie and Lawrie Carter, and title-chasing Fox Burwell were shocked 4-3 at home by Brinkley Red Lion in Division 3A.

Wicken Maids Head meanwhile kept up their 4A promotion drive with a 5-1 defeat of local rivals Little Downham United.