Junior football round-up

Cup Matches SENIOR Division A outfit Soham United caused a major upset in the Snailwell Cup on Saturday, winning 3-2 against Premier Division leaders Hundon away from home. Soham – playing in the competition for the first time in recent memory – were depl

Cup Matches

SENIOR Division A outfit Soham United caused a major upset in the Snailwell Cup on Saturday, winning 3-2 against Premier Division leaders Hundon away from home.

Soham - playing in the competition for the first time in recent memory - were depleted, but were ahead at half-time thanks to a deflected shot from Jason Parker.

Emergency goalkeeper David Holmes had made two crucial saves for United, and his efforts were rewarded when Dan Simmons and Tom Christie fired Soham into a 3-0 lead with 20 minutes left.

The rattled hosts pulled two goals back either side of an 85th minute dismissal, but Soham won and now face either Swavesey Institute or Girton United in the last eight.

Neighbours Soham Town Rangers Reserves meanwhile progressed to the Third Round of the Chell Trophy at the expense of Histon A, who missed an early penalty.

Most Read

Alex Irvine (2) and Scott Fretwell earned Rangers a 3-1 win, but there were two dismissals and Liam Eley was the Soham player to receive his marching orders.

Premier Division

DEFENSIVE blunders and poor finishing cost Littleport Town dearly as they lost to Eaton Socon for the first time ever.

Nigel Smith's 25-yard lob put the home side in front after just five minutes, but the visitors led 2-1 at the break and added a third goal in the second half to clinch the points.

Daren Pryke scored twice for Fordham in the home clash with Ely City Reserves, but the high-flying visitors ran out comfortable 6-2 winners.

Senior Division A

SOHAM Town Rangers Reserves saw their run of seven successive league victories ended at Whittlesford United.

Lee Moll and Alex Irvine were both on target for the visitors, but Whittlesford looked strong and deservedly ran out winners by a 4-2 margin.

Senior Division B

HADDENHAM Rovers secured a vital win against fifth-placed Outwell Swifts, winning by the odd goal in five.

Philip Harle (2) and Jamie Thompson were the players on target for Haddenham.

Littleport Town Reserves remain in the bottom two after crashing 7-0 at Saffron Crocus, and Soham United's run of three successive league wins ended with a 5-0 thumping by Castle Camps.

Division 1B

ELY City A maintained their promotion challenge with a 5-4 win at Gransden Chequers (no details at time of going to press - if Dale Spring has a new mobile number, please let me have details!).

Division 2B

SUTTON United are now top of the table after eight straight league wins, the latest of which came at the expense of championship rivals Hemingfords United Reserves.

Goals from Matthew Keys and Sam Oliver put United 2-0 up at the break.

Wayne Newman added a third before the visitors managed to pull one back in the closing minutes.

Witchford '96 returned to winning ways as goals from Aaron Spencer (3) and Richard Martin (penalty) secured a 4-3 victory at Godmanchester Rovers Reserves, but the same scoreline saw Pymoor FC lose a great match at Somersham Town Reserves.

Simon Law (2) and Ed Hale had Pymoor 3-2 ahead with six minutes remaining, but the hosts struck twice in the time remaining to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

Stretham Hotspurs ended a run of 10 games without a win by coming from behind to beat fellow strugglers Isleham United 5-2.

Captain John Lewis cancelled out Isleham's opener with a header from a corner, and a Leigh Iball double made it 3-1 before half-time.

Michael Beeby scored with a thunderous angled drive from long distance to extend Stretham's lead, and Gary Careless wrapped things up with a solo effort before the hosts managed to score their second of the game.

The Vine crashed 5-0 at home to Newmarket White Lion in the same section.

Division 3B

LITTLE Downham Swifts continued their fine run with a 3-1 home victory at the expense of St Ives Town A.

Gareth Draper opened the scoring after 20 minutes, and John Bartlett doubled the advantage before Patrick Lukehurst took advantage of one of the many chances that came his way.

Nick Agombar was the lone marksman for Fordham Reserves in a 7-1 setback at Cottenham United A, but neither Ely Crusaders nor Haddenham Rovers Reserves could raise a team for their respective matches.

Division 4B

BURWELL Swifts are up to second in the table - two points behind the leaders but with two games in hand - after a 4-2 win against Milton A.

Scott White broke the ice with a well-taken solo effort, and he then rose unchallenged to nod home a free-kick from Lol Maskell.

Milton were back on level terms before half-time, but White restored Burwell's lead with another individual goal and an own goal finally ended Milton's resistance.

Wicken Amateurs meanwhile retrieved a 3-0 deficit at home to leaders Hemingfords United A.

Only 49 minutes had elapsed when the visitors scored their third goal, but two minutes later Josh Woodroffe crossed from the left and Sam Richardson scored with a tremendous angled drive.

Jamie Palmer reduced the arrears to 3-2 soon afterwards after tucking in Nathan Sheriff's free-kick at the far post, and with 12 minutes remaining Ed Richardson ran from half-way before dispatching a 22-yard drive into the top corner of the net to tie the scores.

Goalkeeper Matthew Barber produced a great late save to ensure that Wicken emerged with a share of the spoils.

Division 5B

Burwell Swifts Reserves had an early 'goal' ruled out for offside as they were frequently denied by the March Rangers Reserves goalkeeper in a 2-0 defeat away from home.