Junior Football League Round-up with Steve Green

JUNIOR FOOTBALL DIVISION 1B ELY City A boosted their hopes of achieving Kershaw League status by thrashing Great Paxton Reserves 7-0 on Saturday. Jamie Gayfer and Tom Hoppitt both scored two goals a-piece, with others being shared by Andrew Lee, Stuar



ELY City A boosted their hopes of achieving Kershaw League status by thrashing Great Paxton Reserves 7-0 on Saturday.

Jamie Gayfer and Tom Hoppitt both scored two goals a-piece, with others being shared by Andrew Lee, Stuart Seekings and Lewis Peacock.

Pic cap: Ely City A (in red) thrashed Great Paxton 7-0.


Most Read


SHORT-handed Fordham produced a much-improved display at Eaton Socon, but still went down 3-1.

Shane Woodcock, Jamie Peacock and Chris Poole all did well after being elevated from the Reserves, but the team lacked fire-power.

"We just didn't have enough ammunition on the day," groaned club secretary John Pryke afterwards.

Peacock cancelled out Socon's second-half opener with a great header from Poole's corner, but the hosts went back in front with a penalty and then added a third goal with 15 minutes remaining.

Ely City Reserves meanwhile beat Newmarket Town Reserves in midweek to keep their title hopes alive.

The only goal of the game came midway through the first half, with Andrew Lee capitalising on a goalmouth scramble after good work on the left by Richie Murfitt.


DAVID Cullum (jnr) grabbed the only goal of the game as Littleport Town Reserves beat Bluntisham Rangers on Saturday.

Haddenham Rovers meanwhile lead at Saffron Crocus courtesy of a John Lee effort, but eventually lost 5-3.

Goals from Geoff Buck and Phil Harle reduced Haddenham's deficit to a single goal with five minutes remaining, but Crocus struck again to take the points.


SUTTON United beat local rivals Stretham Hotspurs 5-1, but their goal difference advantage at the top of the table was reduced further by Wisbech St Mary's 9-0 win.

Goalkeeper Michael Peacock cancelled out Stretham's early lead with a penalty kick, and Matthew Keys struck either side of the interval for a 3-1 Sutton advantage.

Sean Bristow scored Sutton's fourth with a header, and Russell Mansfield wrapped things up with another goal in the closing stages.

Isleham United meanwhile established a 3-0 interval lead against bottom club Lode, but eventually had to settle for a draw after Lode had led 4-3 and both teams had players sent off.

Eighteen-year-old Michael Reynolds scored twice for Isleham and was joined on the score sheet by Russell Boneham and the red-carded Neil Parr.

The Vine's poor run continued with a 3-0 defeat at Newmarket White Lion.


ELY Crusaders returned to winning ways at the expense of Brampton Reserves.

Ben Stone's opener was cancelled out before the break, but Luke Schunmann restored Ely's advantage and James Collins made it 3-1 with 20 minutes remaining.

Haddenham Rovers Reserves gave a much-improved display as they shared six goals with Huntingdon United RGE.

Matty Bruce (2) and Daniel Duffy were on target in that 3-3 draw, whilst in the clash between Fordham Reserves and Soham United Reserves veterans Andy Pearson - in the first minute - and Andy Parker exchanged goals in a 1-1 draw.

Mepal Sports went down by the odd goal in three at home to leader March Rangers.


BURWELL Swifts remain on course for the 4B championship after winning 3-1 at Barton Mills Reserves.

The home side led after Danny Jones' early miss, but a well-struck effort from Nathan Hull redressed the balance before half-time.

Swifts went ahead through Carl Saxby after Kevin Driver had caused confusion in the Barton Mills box following a cross from Mike Edwards, and Alan Nash volleyed home following a corner to make the points safe.


BURWELL Swifts Reserves had an off-day in front of goal, but still proved too good for Wisbech St Mary B.

Tom Thatcher's goal separated the teams at midway, and Mark Taylor prodded home Burwell's second from the edge of the area after beating a defender to Thatcher's second-half cross.

Wisbech pulled one back five minutes later, but Marcus Carrod played in Thatcher during stoppage time and he rounded the 'keeper to make the final score 3-1.

Little Downham Swifts Reserves entertained Longstanton Reserves, and after trailing 4-0 at the break eventually went down by the odd goal in seven.

Nicky Martin (2) and Steven Martin were the home players on target to no avail.



ELY Park Rangers are through to the final of the competition after a 7-0 demolition of Magpies 2001.

An own goal set Rangers on their way, Tony Brown headed in for 2-0 and Andrew Lee tapped home Ely's third before Kevin Hills fired in a 15-yard volley.

Lee Abbs scored number five before his volley crashed down off the bar for Brady Stone to make it 6-0, and Martin Grey completed the rout with another header after good work by Mark Brown, David Harvey, Lee and Stone.


TRIPLE S kept the Senior Division championship chase alive -mathematically at least - with a 3-1 victory over leaders Ashwell.

Lee Moll opened the scoring after receiving a throw-in at the start of the second half, and Ross Knappett made it 2-0 with a twice-taken penalty after Stephen Bell had been brought down.

Ashwell replied with 10 minutes left, but Ben Howe clinched the points with a speculative 20-yard shot that found the top corner.

In Division 1A Ely Park Rangers Reserves thrashed Bottisham Sunday 6-0, and Village Inn were also successful in Division 2A, beating local rivals QPR Ely 3-2.

Fox Burwell meanwhile crashed 5-0 at home to Girton Eagles Reserves in Division 3A.