Joy for James as Ely City Golf Club youngster clinches Junior Championship win
- Credit: Archant
Ely City Golf Club junior captain ended his year as skipper with success in the club’s Junior Championships.
The youngster fought off the challenge from last year’s victor Jacob Gamble to take the victory, and admitted he was relieved to produce a positive performance.
“It was a great turnout today,” James said.
“The conditions were perfect and the course was in great condition.
“It’s really nice to end with a win on my captain’s year, but I wasn’t playing my best golf up to today. It’s nice to finally shoot a good score today.”
You may also want to watch:
Championship debutant George Whitehall was also successful, beating Ely member Owen Buckley in the Handicap competition.
Ely junior Owen returned an excellent nett 69, but George shot a superb five under handicap 67 to win the nett prize.
- 1 'I feel alive for the first time': Slimmer lost half his body weight in lockdown
- 2 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 3 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 6 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 7 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 8 Matt’s 46-day charity cycle from Burwell to Istanbul raises over £2,000
- 9 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 10 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
Eleanor Gamble, also of Ely, impressed in the High Handicap competition, shooting an excellent round of nett 69 to seal victory.