Johnson fights his way to silver
YOUNG judo star Nicolas Johnson fought off injury to secure a silver medal in the National Junior Age Banded Judo Championships. Johnson, 12, from Soham, was among 750 competitors at the event in Sheffield. In his second year at age category B for players
YOUNG judo star Nicolas Johnson fought off injury to secure a silver medal in the National Junior Age Banded Judo Championships.
Johnson, 12, from Soham, was among 750 competitors at the event in Sheffield.
In his second year at age category B for players born in 1994 and 1995, he fought in the under-60kg category.
Despite an early loss, he won his remaining pool contests with holds to secure a place in the semi-final and guarantee a medal.
Johnson then scored with a superb maximum ippon score to secure a place in the final, where he faced a national squad member.
He took an early lead but suffered injury and was eventually thrown by his opponent who won the contest.
- 1 Two food businesses closed after cockroach infestations found
- 2 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 3 Missing woman back home
- 4 Pastor in freedom of speech and job fight over Pride tweet
- 5 Petition launched to save village pub
- 6 Pub company comes out fighting to keep controversial cuppa sign
- 7 College pupils bring School of Rock to life on stage
- 8 Father accused of baby daughter's murder gave her squash, court told
- 9 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 10 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
Johnson's fellow Littleport Judo Club member Andrew Pickerill, 14, from Wicken, competed in the age band C for players born in 1992 and 1993.
He fought in the under-81kg category and lost to the eventual gold medallist who arm-locked him in his first contest. Pickerill came back to fight for a place in the bronze medal contest, but was thrown and did not progress.
The event was the second of two qualifying events for selection to British Judo's World Class Start Program for 2008 and both are hopeful of qualification.
n More information about Littleport Judo Club is available at Littleport Leisure Centre or by calling one of the coaches on 01553 763973 or 01553 840573.
n A 10-week introduction to judo course is being held at Soham Village College. It starts on November 1 and is for anyone eight or above.
INFO: Contact Susannah Lewis on 01353 724119 or Soham Village College reception on 01353 722297.