Johnson fights his way to silver
YOUNG judo star Nicolas Johnson fought off injury to secure a silver medal in the National Junior Age Banded Judo Championships. Johnson, 12, from Soham, was among 750 competitors at the event in Sheffield. In his second year at age category B for players
YOUNG judo star Nicolas Johnson fought off injury to secure a silver medal in the National Junior Age Banded Judo Championships.
Johnson, 12, from Soham, was among 750 competitors at the event in Sheffield.
In his second year at age category B for players born in 1994 and 1995, he fought in the under-60kg category.
Despite an early loss, he won his remaining pool contests with holds to secure a place in the semi-final and guarantee a medal.
You may also want to watch:
Johnson then scored with a superb maximum ippon score to secure a place in the final, where he faced a national squad member.
He took an early lead but suffered injury and was eventually thrown by his opponent who won the contest.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 5 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
Johnson's fellow Littleport Judo Club member Andrew Pickerill, 14, from Wicken, competed in the age band C for players born in 1992 and 1993.
He fought in the under-81kg category and lost to the eventual gold medallist who arm-locked him in his first contest. Pickerill came back to fight for a place in the bronze medal contest, but was thrown and did not progress.
The event was the second of two qualifying events for selection to British Judo's World Class Start Program for 2008 and both are hopeful of qualification.
n More information about Littleport Judo Club is available at Littleport Leisure Centre or by calling one of the coaches on 01553 763973 or 01553 840573.
n A 10-week introduction to judo course is being held at Soham Village College. It starts on November 1 and is for anyone eight or above.
INFO: Contact Susannah Lewis on 01353 724119 or Soham Village College reception on 01353 722297.