John’s 25 years’ service to Ely Runners recognised at 2012 Ely Standard Sports Awards
JOHN Turner, an integral member of Ely Runners for more than 25 years and an athlete for more than 50 years - was recognised for his service to sport at the 2012 Ely Standard Sports Awards.
The judges said: “John has been part of Ely Runners for over 25 years and is still an active member. He has held a number of different positions including club secretary and produced events lists and the club newsletter.
“He has been race director for Grunty Fen half marathon and New Years Eve 10k for a number of years. John still runs and organises the weekly training sessions for the club incorporating a variety of training styles.
“Through his involvement, dedication and knowledge he has built the club up over the years and its membership now stands at over 150 members.”
Di Baker, of award sponsor Witchford Schools Sports Partnership, presented the trophy.
Jamie Spalding - Jamie has worked in sport most of his life and has been working at Littleport Leisure Centre since he left school and it was built.
- 1 Popular food and leisure hub plans win over planners
- 2 £4.8m loan to transform office block into flats repaid
- 3 Take a look inside £600,000 period home with 'outstanding charm'
- 4 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 5 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 6 Santas learn how to put the Ho Ho Ho into Christmas
- 7 New deadline for £6m crematorium decision
- 8 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 9 Here’s what you can expect at Ely Folk Festival 2022
- 10 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
Graham Chapman - Graham is an inspiration to anyone of any age who wants to get fit. Last year he ran the London marathon for the third year in a row in three hours 03.14mins, raising �1,000 for Alzheimer’s charities.