John’s 25 years’ service to Ely Runners recognised at 2012 Ely Standard Sports Awards
JOHN Turner, an integral member of Ely Runners for more than 25 years and an athlete for more than 50 years - was recognised for his service to sport at the 2012 Ely Standard Sports Awards.
The judges said: “John has been part of Ely Runners for over 25 years and is still an active member. He has held a number of different positions including club secretary and produced events lists and the club newsletter.
“He has been race director for Grunty Fen half marathon and New Years Eve 10k for a number of years. John still runs and organises the weekly training sessions for the club incorporating a variety of training styles.
“Through his involvement, dedication and knowledge he has built the club up over the years and its membership now stands at over 150 members.”
Di Baker, of award sponsor Witchford Schools Sports Partnership, presented the trophy.
You may also want to watch:
Jamie Spalding - Jamie has worked in sport most of his life and has been working at Littleport Leisure Centre since he left school and it was built.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 7 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 8 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 9 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 10 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
Graham Chapman - Graham is an inspiration to anyone of any age who wants to get fit. Last year he ran the London marathon for the third year in a row in three hours 03.14mins, raising �1,000 for Alzheimer’s charities.