Children from seven schools in the area took part in a javelin gala – and met Ely star Goldie Sayers. Sayers, 24, demonstrated javelin throwing and coached each group in the throwing of the junior version, the turbo javelin. The event, at the Paradise Ce
Children from seven schools in the area took part in a javelin gala - and met Ely star Goldie Sayers.
Sayers, 24, demonstrated javelin throwing and coached each group in the throwing of the junior version, the turbo javelin. The event, at the Paradise Centre, was organised by the Rotary Club of Ely Hereward and the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Sports Partnership.
Sayers then spoke of her exploits at the Olympic Games in 2004 and the Commonwealth Games earlier this year, and presented each child with a certificate of participation, and an autographed photograph. The Rotary Club presented each participating school with a £90 box of turbo javelins.
Youngsters from Soham St Andrew's, Sutton, Isleham, Little Thetford, Little Downham, Rackham School, Witchford, and St Mary's Primary School, Ely, all took part in the event.
You may also want to watch:
Photo: HELEN DRAKE 1350
- 1 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 2 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 3 Caught on camera: milk thieves strike in the city
- 4 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 5 Ely Museum team member retires after 16 years' service
- 6 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 7 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 8 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
- 9 'Every number is a lost life' - Worst Covid affected care homes in Cambs
- 10 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter