Jarvis Japan victory tainted by tangle with Brazilian
OLIVER Jarvis s second Formula Three win in Japan was tainted by a tangle with a Brazilian that cost him double victory. The Burwell driver, pictured, triumphed in round five of the All Japan Championship to briefly hold the lead in the table, but had vic
OLIVER Jarvis's second Formula Three win in Japan was tainted by a tangle with a Brazilian that cost him double victory.
The Burwell driver, pictured, triumphed in round five of the All Japan Championship to briefly hold the lead in the table, but had victory snatched away from him in the second race of the day, round six.
Driving for TOM'S Toyota, Jarvis started from pole position and was immediately challenged by Brazilian Roberto Streit, who tried to come up the inside. Jarvis closed the door and Streit took the pit exit to pass. During the manoeuvre, Jarvis recovered from over-steer midway through a corner and broke late to maintain his lead as the Brazilian was forced out on to the grass.
Twenty three-year-old Jarvis built up a four second lead and the race looked as though it was his for the taking, but he was issued with a driver penalty in the seventh lap for aggressive driving for the earlier conflict with Streit.
You may also want to watch:
Jarvis rejoined the race in fifth place. He pushed hard over the next 12 laps and set the fastest lap, but couldn't make a mark on the leaders and finished fifth.
He said: "I congratulated Streit on his win and he conceded that I'd been very fair into the first corner. He tried to make the move but believed that if it didn't come off, there was potential to create a penalty given the strict regulations in Japan on 'safe driving'. In Europe that is just considered to be hard but fair racing.
- 1 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 2 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 7 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 8 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 9 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 10 Rail volunteers recognised at awards ceremony