It’s six and the City!
RIDGEONS LEAGUE FIRST DIVISION Fakenham Town 0 Ely City 6 ELY boss Dennis Lightning will be hoping for a repeat of his side s second-half performance when they visit promotion hopefuls Clacton on Saturday. After a lethargic and goalless opening 45 minutes
Fakenham Town 0 Ely City 6
ELY boss Dennis Lightning will be hoping for a repeat of his side's second-half performance when they visit promotion hopefuls Clacton on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
After a lethargic and goalless opening 45 minutes against the league's bottom club, City burst into life.
Left-back Jamie Alsop scored a rare right-footed goal from the edge of the box five minutes after the re-start, and right-back Russell Flitton doubled Ely's lead two minutes later by flicking the ball home from the edge of the box.
- 1 'I feel alive for the first time': Slimmer lost half his body weight in lockdown
- 2 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 3 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 6 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 7 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 8 Matt’s 46-day charity cycle from Burwell to Istanbul raises over £2,000
- 9 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 10 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
An instinctive close-range striker's finish from Dave Daniels made it 3-0 in the 56th minute before substitute Tom Beech scored after a goalmouth scramble.
Beech attempted to claim the fifth goal in the 75th minute but Tom Pell's corner appeared to have deflected in off a defender.
Striker Lee James saved the best until last, with a cool finish after a slick passing move in the closing stages.
Lightning said: "We were poor in the first half, but they put everyone behind the ball and made it difficult for us. A few harsh words were needed at half-time and we just overpowered them after that.
"We've got a tough match on Saturday against a team many have tipped for promotion but these are the games we have to go and win if we want to play in the Premier Division next year.