It’s lucky 13 for Rackham
IT was a fine spring afternoon last Thursday when the 13th running of the junior schools hockey tournament was held at Ely Hockey Club. Five schools were represented – St Andrews of Soham, Rackham School of Witchford, Wilburton School, Weatheralls school
IT was a fine spring afternoon last Thursday when the 13th running of the junior schools hockey tournament was held at Ely Hockey Club.
Five schools were represented - St Andrews of Soham, Rackham School of Witchford, Wilburton School, Weatheralls school of Soham and the Robert Arkenstall school of Haddenham.
The hockey club provided all the officials who kept the games running and free from injury.
This year's tournament was dominated by Rackham School and Weatheralls School with both schools filling the semi-final berths. Their sides were first and second in both of the pools. The pool games saw some very close encounters, much to the enjoyment of the supporting crowd. For some of the players this was their first taste of competitive hockey, and all the players performed very well with good skills and ball control on show.
You may also want to watch:
Great enthusiasm was generated by a good crowd of parents and school staff, especially in the semi-finals where Rackham A beat off the challenge of Rackham B, but Weatheralls B ended up winners over their A team. This was the first time that a B team had ever reached the final.
The final was a very close game but two goals from James Forbier on the right wing saw Rackham home.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 5 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 6 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 7 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 8 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 9 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
Weatheralls created a few chances, especially late on in the game, but were not able to force any of them home.
The trophies were awarded by Trevor Hopkinson, the hockey club president.
For more details on the hockey club please visit www.elyhockeyclub.co.uk or phone Trevor Hopkinson on 01353 740997.