It’s lking gr-eight fr the Rbins
RIDGEONS LEAGUE DIVISION ONE Ely City 2 Thetfrd Twn 0 SECOND-placed Ely City remain eight pints clear f the chasing pack after a wrkman-like victry against Thetfrd Twn. It was a tugh game, said Rbins bss Dennis Lightning. They are a better s
RIDGEONS LEAGUE DIVISION ONE
Ely City 2 Thetfrd Twn 0
SECOND-placed Ely City remain eight pints clear f the chasing pack after a wrkman-like victry against Thetfrd Twn.
"It was a tugh game," said Rbins bss Dennis Lightning.
"They are a better side than their league psitin wuld suggest."
Andy Pettit pened the scring after 13 minutes, ndding hme a first-time crss frm Mark Jhnstn.
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 4 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 5 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 6 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 7 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 8 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 9 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 10 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
City created ther chances in the first half, but the visitrs had their mments. "It was ne f thse games when yu always thught ne gal might nt be enugh," said Lightning.
His fears were laid t rest, hwever, when Pettit latched n t Dave Smith's 77th-minute thrugh ball t seal the pints.
Ely's prmtin prspects culd well be decided next mnth when they take n fur f the tughest teams in the divisin - Diss Twn (away n Saturday), leaders Tiptree the fllwing week and then Debenham and Grlestn.
"We've gt a hrrendus run f games nw," said the City manager, "and I'd be happy with a pint n Saturday."
Eight pints frm thse fur games might well be enugh fr Ely.
"If we can just get thrugh that mnth unscathed..." said Lightning.
In the first rund f the Hunts Premier Cup - a tie that Lightning described as "a distractin" - Mark Kirby's 55th-minute strike failed t save Ely frm a 2-1 defeat against visiting Huntingdn Twn.