It’s game on!
JASON Dozzell and Micky Quinn will star in a team of ex-professional footballers against local league managers. The match will take place at the first annual Eastern Counties Football Supporters Summer Fair. It will be at Soham Town Rangers ground in Juli
JASON Dozzell and Micky Quinn will star in a team of ex-professional footballers against local league managers.
The match will take place at the first annual Eastern Counties Football Supporters Summer Fair.
It will be at Soham Town Rangers ground in Julius Martin Lane, with Soham manager Ian Benjamin in charge of the ex-pros' team and Mildenhall boss Trevor Munns leading the managers' side.
The match will be the highlight of a weekend's activities to raise money for the East Anglian Air Ambulance.
You may also want to watch:
Former Ipswich Town and Spurs star Dozzell, 39 - now manager at Leiston - was the youngest scorer at 16 years and 57 days in the English top flight.
Ex-Newcastle United and Coventry striker Quinn, 45, and ex-Cambridge United defender Phil Chapple have signed up for the ex-pros' team.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 9 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 10 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
Twenty local managers are on board, including former Soham boss Kevin Pritchard.
Organiser Mark Bailey said: "We have some more top names lined up, who we are just waiting to confirm.
"The emphasis of the weekend will be on family fun but I'm sure the match will be competitive because none of these guys like losing."
The fair starts on Saturday, September 1, with a disco and karaoke from 7.30pm and a football memorabilia auction. It resumes at 11am the following day.
There will be music from the City of Ely Band, managers in the stocks, a barbecue and bar, and various children's entertainment.
The Soham Fenlander Majorettes will perform after the match, which will kick-off at about 2pm.
Mr Bailey said: "The idea came through the Eastern Counties Football Supporters Forum. Someone suggested a casual end-of-season get-together and it expanded from there.
"The East Anglian Air Ambulance is used by clubs all over the eastern counties so it's a very fitting cause."
Admission for Saturday night will cost £10 for adults, £5 for under-16s and £25 for a family ticket. Tickets for Sunday will be £3 for adults and £1.50 for under-16s.
Anyone wanting tickets or to advertise in the match programme should contact Mark Bailey on 07903 289938 or firstname.lastname@example.org
People with tents or caravans can stay in a nearby field free by contacting Peter Cox on 07957 970259.