It’s all Over for Fordham, but ’Port get through

SATURDAY FOOTBALL CLIFF BULLEN CHALLENGE CUP QUARTER FINAL LITTLEPORT Town are through to the last four of the competition, but Fordham are out after a gut-wrenching extra-time defeat at Over Sports. It was a great game for a cup-tie, said Fordham secre



LITTLEPORT Town are through to the last four of the competition, but Fordham are out after a gut-wrenching extra-time defeat at Over Sports.

"It was a great game for a cup-tie," said Fordham secretary John Pryke after witnessing his side's defeat, but Fordham came agonisingly close to claiming a semi-final berth.

They created early chances, but then played second-fiddle as Over bossed the remainder of the first half.

The visitors consequently trailed by a goal at the midway stage, but managed to get back on terms in the 65th minute.

Most Read

Wayne Bell dispossessed a defender after chasing what looked like a lost cause, and his square pass was easily dispatched by Jose Montero to make the score 1-1.

Jamie Palmer then side-footed home a Daren Pryke pass to make it 2-1 with just eight minutes of normal time remaining, but in the third minute of time added on Over scored to take the tie into extra-time.

A penalty shoot-out seemed inevitable but, perhaps with a sense of irony, Over won a spot kick in the final minute and converted to claim a 3-2 win.

"Both teams were evenly matched," concluded Pryke, "but there were no complaints from us about the penalty."

Littleport meanwhile under-performed in their clash with lower-ranked West Wratting, and were grateful to come away with a 1-0 victory.

"We were absolutely awful," groaned 'Port boss Dave Cullum, adding: "There was no sort of spark and we just seemed to be missing something."

Sean Ambrose side-footed home after good work by David Cullum (jnr) and Danny Jordan in the 10th minute, but according to the boss it was "downhill from there".

Wratting hit the post soon afterwards and looked set to make the most of 'Port's apparent complacency, but the hosts held on for a thoroughly deserved 1-0 win.


SOHAM Town Rangers Reserves missed chances a-plenty - particularly in the first half - as they finished up on the wrong end of a 2-1 scoreline at Hardwick.

Adam Clemence pulled a goal back after Alex Irvine's penalty had struck a post, but it was too little, too late for Steve Bye's promotion hopefuls.


HADDENHAM Rovers crashed 4-1 at home to Whittlesford United, and Soham United lost 2-0 at Debden.


LITTLEPORT Town Reserves joined Tuddenham Rovers at the top of the table with a 6-2 home win against Bottisham Sports.

Richard Layn (2), Clive Lee (2), Mark Talbot and Sam Warner were on target for the hosts, and although Bottisham deservedly pulled a couple of goals back in the closing stages there was never any doubt about the outcome.


ELY City A moved up to sixth in the table by virtue of their first draw of the campaign, but Stretham Hotspurs are now unbeaten in three after Saturday's 2-2 result.

Jamie Gayfer's goal gave City a half-time lead, but Leigh Iball equalised with a stunning left-foot drive and central defender Simon Rudnicki headed home Ollie Langford's corner at the far post to make it 2-1.

City were not done yet though, and Robert Parker salvaged a point in the last 10 minutes.


Richard Martin secured a marvellous point for Sutton United Reserves as they entertained leaders Wisbech St Mary A.

The visitors led at the break, but Martin's angled shot was helped into the net by the goalkeeper with 20 minutes remaining, so it finished 1-1.

In the same section bottom club Haddenham Rovers Reserves lost 2-1 at Barton Mills Reserves.


BURWELL Swifts Reserves almost threw away a four-goal lead in their match at Coldham United.

Tom Thatcher opened the scoring and Glen Carman added a second goal before Thatcher made it 3-0 by heading home a Lee Hobbs cross.

Burwell hit the woodwork twice before Carman added number four from Thatcher's back-heel in the 30th minute, but the visitors pulled one back before the break and then made a real game of it.

Two second half goals saw Burwell pressing the panic button, but they managed to hold on for a 4-3 win.

Little Downham Swifts Reserves lost 4-1 at Fenstanton Reserves, and Isleham United Reserves were thrashed

7-1 at home by Lode Reserves.


PYMOOR FC cruised through to the next stage of the competition by ramming 10 goals past hapless Doddington United Reserves.

Goalkeeper Paul Barrow was one of the players on target from the penalty spot, and he was joined on the scoresheet by Simon Law (2), Tom Higgs (2), Greg Saberton, Aaron Povey, David Harvey, Jason Cridford and a Doddington defender.

Mepal Sports also kept a clean sheet as Matt Johannsson (2), Luke Wilson and Tim Houghton - with an excellent free-kick - saw them through 4-0 at Coates Athletic Reserves, but several other East Cambridgeshire sides were knocked out.

The Vine surrendered a 2-0 lead as they lost 5-2 at home to Guyhirn, and Fordham Reserves also gave up a home lead against Wisbech St Mary Reserves.

Clive Boucheron and Mark Hacking twice put Fordham ahead, but the visitors hit back for a stylish 4-2 success.

Ely Crusaders meanwhile succumbed 7-0 at home to Chatteris Town Reserves, and Wicken Amateurs lost by the odd goal in nine at Tydd United.

Jamie Palmer and James Petersen gave Wicken a 2-0 lead in the opening 15 minutes, and substitute Nathan Sheriff made it 3-2 after Tydd had briefly got back on terms.

Petersen's far post header made it 4-4 after Tydd had gone in front for the first time, but a last minute goal left Wicken a goal adrift at the end.

Burwell Swifts progressed at the expense of higher-ranked opponents Great Chesterford Reserves, with Chris Grant contributing a hat-trick in their 5-2 win. Lee Hardy and Rich Barnes were the other players on target, but Grant's 25-yard free-kick for the opener was probably the pick of the goals.



TRIPLE-S beat Ashwell 3-1 at home, but were grateful for a string of saves from goalkeeper Gavin Wiseman.

Scott Fretwell's 30th minute opener was soon cancelled out, but he made it 2-1 at half-time and then clinched the points with a dubious second half penalty to complete his hat-trick.


DALE Spring said that Ely Park Rangers were "simply not good enough" as the 1A contenders slumped to a 1-0 defeat at Kingston Foresters, but there was better news for their Reserves in Division 2A.

Luke Fretwell atoned for a terrible miss by scoring twice in the 6-0 home win against Milton Sunday, and other goals went to Gareth Arter (2), Gary Dewsbury and Matt Brodie.

QPR Ely beat Alma FC 3-0 away in the same section, while in Division 3A there were wins for Village Inn (6-1 at home to Girton Eagles Reserves) and Little Downham United (4-3 at home to Chippenham).

In Division 4A Will Ludbrooke scored four goals, making it 21 for the season, as Wilburton Albion won 11-1 at Lakenheath Eagles Reserves.

Ed Ideson and Shane Freeland also weighed in with hat-tricks a-piece, and the other goal went to Mel Pryer.

LTFC 1906 beat fellow newcomers Fox Burwell by a 4-2 margin.