Isle of Ely talents record top times at second leg of Cambridge Winter League
- Credit: Archant
More than 50 of the Isle of Ely Rowing Club’s finest talents turned out at the Cambridge Winter League last Sunday (January 8).
The Ely club joined 175 crews from across Cambridgeshire, with boats ranging in size from single sculls to 60-foot ‘eights.’
The Winter League – raced over 2.6km on the River Cam – runs as a time trial over three legs and the Ely crew of Philip Sosnin and Josh Stimson recorded a speedy time of 12 minutes and one second.
The female crew of Holly Lancaster and Rahera Greatrex also performed well, finishing just one second behind the men.
Mel Moss in the Women’s 4+ said: “The ladies have only been rowing together for a few months and this was the first race for all of us.
You may also want to watch:
“The unexpectedly glorious weather only added to the excitement and it was great to row on a different stretch of river.
“The shouts of ‘come on Ely!’ from supporters on the bank really spurred us on.”
- 1 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 2 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 7 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 8 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 9 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 10 Rail volunteers recognised at awards ceremony
The final leg of the League takes place in March.
Women: IM3 eight 11:58; J16 double scull 12:02; IM2 double scull 12:46; J18 single scull 13:17; Novice coxed quad scull 14:02; J13 single scull 14:14; Masters E single scull 14:52; Masters C sweep four 14:52.
Men: IM3 eight 10:56; Masters E coxless quad scull 11:04; Masters G sweep pair 11:38; J16 double scull 12:01; Masters E single scull 13:11; Novice double scull 13:30; Masters C single scull 14:01; novice single scull 17:35.
Mixed crews: Novice quad scull (1) 14:42; Novice quad scull (2) 15:23