Isle of Ely Rowing Club youngsters get season off to a flier with top finishes
- Credit: Archant
Juniors from the Isle of Ely Rowing Club have made a solid start to the regatta season.
Rebecca Welch, Alice Thompson, Helena O’Donnell and Molly Johnson won in their J18 coxless quad at the Nottingham City Regatta two weeks ago and came second in the B final and the National Schools Regatta at Eton Dorney last weekend.
All four girls are part of the GB Rowing START programme, which trains and develops young rowers with the aim of gaining a place in the GB rowing squad.
Under the supervision of GB Rowing START funded coach, Peter Lee, the GB START members train for over 20 hours a week - both in the gym and on the water.
It’s not only the girls that do well at the club; Sam Champion, another member of the GB Rowing START programme, was one of a 33-member squad representing GB at the Munich International Junior Regatta at the start of May and came fourth in the A final of the J18 single skulls at the National Schools Regatta.
You may also want to watch:
As Rebecca and her crew aim to qualify for Henley Rowing Regatta later this summer, she wants to see more members attend the club’s sessions.
She said: “ The Isle of Ely Club is great; it’s really friendly and there is always something on for anyone who wants to row. We’d like to continue to race against the biggest and best clubs and schools in the country and are determined to put Isle of Ely on the rowing map.”
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 8 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
The Rowing club recently launched a £10,000 fund raising campaign to raise money for their new clubhouse. If you would like to support the club, Rebecca and the rest of the START group at Isle of Ely Rowing Club, contact Lynda Haynes on firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the club’s Just Giving page: http://campaign.justgiving.com/charity/ioe-rc/clubhouse.