Impey keeps rampant City on track for title
RIDGEONS LEAGUE FIRST DIVISION Cornard 2 Ely City 3 ELY held on in a nervy second half to go top of the table on goal difference with a game in hand. A Nick Impey brace gave City a dream start. The in-form front-man opened the scoring in the 11th minute w
RIDGEONS LEAGUE FIRST DIVISION
Cornard 2 Ely City 3
ELY held on in a nervy second half to go top of the table on goal difference with a game in hand.
A Nick Impey brace gave City a dream start. The in-form front-man opened the scoring in the 11th minute with a half-volley from eight yards after the goalkeeper flicked the ball into his path, and he then swerved a 30-yard screamer into the top left-hand corner seven minutes later.
You may also want to watch:
Cornard battled their way back into the match and pulled one back 10 minutes before the interval when Ely missed three opportunities to clear a deep ball into the box.
Tom Beech reacted quickly after a goalmouth scramble to restore Ely's two-goal cushion a minute into first-half stoppage time.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 8 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
City struggled in the second half when they played up the slope into the wind.
Cornard's second was scored midway through the half when City again failed to deal with a deep cross and Tim Catley was beaten from close range.
The home side had chances to pull level and Catley had to pull off two fine saves but City held on for another three points.
Ely manager Dennis Lightning said: "It wasn't pretty in the second half, but it's all about getting the points at this stage of the season."
City lost 1-0 at Whitton United on Tuesday.
Ely's next match is away to Stowmarket Town on Saturday, April 7.