I would 8-2 be a Swifts fan! Soham Town Rangers run riot at Heybridge
IN-FORM Soham Town Rangers bagged their biggest win of the season on Saturday as they smashed eight past high-flying Heybridge Swifts.
The Greens sent a warning to their Ryman League Division One North rivals and showed off their play-off credentials with the 8-2 thumping.
On a memorable day for Steve Fallon’s troops, it was Buster Harradine who set the tone. The winger fired an unstoppable 35-yard thunderbolt into the top corner to give Soham an eighth-minute lead.
Heybridge hit back seven minutes later through Ben Newson but a crazy final 10 minutes of the first half saw the Greens strike FIVE times.
James McCabe turned home his first goal for the club in the 35th minute before Luke Stanley headed home Harradine’s cross for 3-1.
You may also want to watch:
Robbie Mason made it four in the 39th minute, Michael Simpson grabbed a fifth in the 42nd minute and Mason struck again in first-half stoppage time to leave the Swifts shell-shocked.
Heybridge came out to chase the game after the break and they pulled one back through Solomon Ofori mid-way through the second half.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 5 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 6 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 7 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
- 10 Christmas comes early as festive lights couple hold trial switch-on
But any remote hopes of a comeback were dashed two minutes later as Louis Baucutt headed home his first Soham goal from a Harradine corner.
Mason twice came close to his hat-trick but the victory was sealed in the 82nd minute through the inspired Harradine.
The winger curled his free kick into the top corner to finish the day as he started it - on the scoresheet.
The win leaves Soham, who travel to Brentwood Town on Saturday, just four points outside the play-offs.