Hundreds Turn Out For East Cambs Half Marathon In Soham
MORE than 100 runners turned out to pound the tarmac in Soham on Sunday at the East Cambs Half-Marathon. Competitors from across the district, including runners from as far afield as Ipswich and Haverhill, took part in the 13-mile event which featured a h
MORE than 100 runners turned out to pound the tarmac in Soham on Sunday at the East Cambs Half-Marathon.
Competitors from across the district, including runners from as far afield as Ipswich and Haverhill, took part in the 13-mile event which featured a host of quality performers from local club Ely Runners, who had representation from some 17 runners on the day.
And it was an Ely Runner - Craig Holgate - who took overall victory in the hotly contested race coming home in just 1:15:41, less than 30 seconds ahead of second-placed Mazeyar Firouzi who was representing Cambrideg Triathalon Club. Ely Runners Stephen Pettit took third place in 1:17:08.
The first female home was Daisy Glover, also of Ely Runners, who clocked up an impressive 1:25:30 to beat her nearest rival by a comfortable four-minute margin. The 18-year-old finished in 16th place overall.
You may also want to watch:
The race itself was started by chairman of East Cambridgeshire District Council Peter Cresswell, at St Andrew's Primary School with the competitors completing a course that ventured out and around the town.
The annual event regularly draws more than 100 competitors and is organised by staff at the Ross Peers Sports Centre itself.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 3 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 6 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
- 7 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 8 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 9 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 10 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4