Hundreds set to take part in Ely triathlon event
- Credit: Archant
Triathlon ELY will once again play host to the Eastern Counties Finance Monster Triathlon, with 350 participants due to descend on the city to battle it out.
The race is taking place on August 18 and will see hundreds of triathletes test their mettle over a 1.9km swim in the River Great Ouse, a 52-mile bike ride through the villages of Pymoor, Little Downham, Coveney and Witchford before returning to Jubilee Gardens in Ely to complete 13 miles of running.
The event is sold out and the field contains a group of professional athletes as well as very competitive amateur triathletes.
Shortly after the start of the race, the inaugural Monster Olympic will take place on the same routes with 100 entrants. This race covers a shorter distance consisting of a 1.5km swim, 42km bike and 12km run. The race headquarters, transition and finish line will be in Jubilee Gardens. Ely’s High Street and roads surrounding the Market Place will be closed for traffic during the event.
Paul, race director, said: This event is fantastic for Ely. There will be nearly 500 athletes of all abilities coming to Ely for the weekend, along with a similar number of spectators in support.
You may also want to watch:
“The boost to local businesses will be, no doubt, well received. I am hoping that local people will come along to support the event and soak up an electric atmosphere.”
More information about the event can be found at www.MonsterRacing.net
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 7 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 8 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 9 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 10 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse