Horton shame’ at state of track
MILDENHALL speedway promoter Mick Horton is questioning his future at the club after admitting he was embarrassed and ashamed at the West Row track conditions during their 45-45 draw with Redcar on Sunday. On the hottest day of the year so far, there w
MILDENHALL speedway promoter Mick Horton is questioning his future at the club after admitting he was "embarrassed and ashamed" at the West Row track conditions during their 45-45 draw with Redcar on Sunday.
On the hottest day of the year so far, there was a visible 'blue line' during the early stages of the Premier League contest. This steadily got worse and bordered on dangerous during the ensuing Conference League meeting against Rye House with heavy dust prominent throughout the afternoon.
Horton is unhappy with the current situation that sees the club rent the stadium on race-days from owner Carl Harris and pay for the track to be prepared by stock car RDC Promotions.
He explained: "We have no home track advantage and I can honestly say to our supporters that some teams will fancy coming here and beating us. The track at the moment is diabolical, it was the worst I have ever seen a track on Sunday and I was ashamed and embarrassed to be promoter with that surface. Bends three and four were diabolical and the bikes just kept on spinning."
You may also want to watch:
"We pay good money to have a decent track prepared and we have paid out for a great deal of shale and it breaks my heart that I cannot give my riders the tools (track) to do the job.
"As a business man I cannot tolerate the way it is at the moment and we need someone with expertise, ability and enthusiasm to prepare the surface the way it should be.
- 1 Parish council protests after developers switch care home for homes
- 2 Van overturns after striking Ely’s infamous ‘most bashed bridge’
- 3 Parish council fails to win vote of confidence
- 4 Charity shop ‘urgently appealing’ for volunteers after reopening
- 5 Tea rooms may become a bedsit
- 6 'Harassment' forces village speedwatch team to close
- 7 Ely’s most famous cat is back for more adventures
- 8 OBE for former King's Ely principal
- 9 Woman claims Cambridgeshire police officer ‘forced himself’ upon her
- 10 'A crash waiting to happen' say police
"I have begun to view other options open to me elsewhere and already have a couple of offers on the table to move the team next season.