Honours even in derby as Soham and Ely continue pre-season preparations
- Credit: Archant
Football Ely City 2 Soham Town Rangers 2
Steve Fallon’s Soham twice came from behind to share the spoils with Ely City on Tuesday night.
Ely held the lead going in at half-time after James Carman’s superb curling strike, which found the top corner of the net with little more than 10 minutes played.
Despite carrying the momentum into the break, Ely were pegged back early in the second half by Soham’s Marcus Hall, who worked his way down the right and into the area before slotting past the keeper.
But Brady Stone’s new-look Ely side were in front again with 15 minutes to go courtesy of an own-goal from Alex Martin which put the Robins on course for the win.
You may also want to watch:
But it was Soham who would have the final say as, with just nine minutes remaining, Ryan Sharman break free of his marker to head home a corner.
Ely City’s director of football, Sam Turner, said: “It was our first home friendly and we feel it went well. The performance in the first half was excellent and we did a good job of containing them in the second.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 10 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
“We have a good squad of about 18 players coming on and we are in good shape. A few players from last year’s squad have moved on and we wish them all the best but we have a young and talented squad here now and we are looking forward.”
Soham are back in action again on Saturday as they travel to Hardwick for a friendly. Kick off is 11am. Ely City, meanwhile, will host King’s Lynn Reserves at the Unwin Ground. Kick off is 3pm.