Honours even as Soham bring their season to a close
- Credit: Archant
Football Soham Town Rangers 3 Aveley 3
SOHAM brought their season to a close with an entertaining draw against play-off contenders Aveley at Julius Martin Lane.
Despite harbouring ambitions of making the play-offs themselves, wins in midweek for Witham Town and Aveley meant it was mathematically impossible for Steve Fallon’s side to force their way into the top six.
Nevertheless, the Greens didn’t want for gusto on Saturday as they came from behind to earn a draw against the Essex side, who will now be looking towards a play-off fixture against Maldon and Tiptree in the coming weeks.
It was the visitors who opened the scoring just short of 15 minutes when Alex Read reacted quickest to the rebound from a Dan Bircham save to slot home.
You may also want to watch:
Both sides had chances to further the scoring in an increasingly open match before perennial goalscorer Robbie Mason eluded his marker and nodded home Buster Harrdine’s ball from six yards, his 34th goal of the season.
Read saw another shot saved by Soham’s Bircham before James McCabe struck a post for the hosts with an arrowed strike from inside the area.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 9 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 10 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
Fallon’s men took the lead into half-time however, as Robbie Mason was felled in the area having knocked the ball around the goalkeeper. Harradine finished clinically for his 19th goal of the campaign.
Less than 10 minutes after the break and Aveley were level once more, the irrepressible Read curling home a superb free-kick from 25 yards.
The sides continued to trade blows before the visitors moved into the lead, midway through the half. Sheldon Sellears thumped home a shot from just inside the area to leave Bircham no chance.
Though they defended stoutly for the much of the remainder of the match, Aveley were denied the three points when, in the sixth minute of added time, Soham were awarded a second penalty for another foul on Mason.
Harradine made no mistake from the spot to earn Soham a share of the spoils.