Honours even as Soham bring their season to a close
- Credit: Archant
Football Soham Town Rangers 3 Aveley 3
SOHAM brought their season to a close with an entertaining draw against play-off contenders Aveley at Julius Martin Lane.
Despite harbouring ambitions of making the play-offs themselves, wins in midweek for Witham Town and Aveley meant it was mathematically impossible for Steve Fallon’s side to force their way into the top six.
Nevertheless, the Greens didn’t want for gusto on Saturday as they came from behind to earn a draw against the Essex side, who will now be looking towards a play-off fixture against Maldon and Tiptree in the coming weeks.
It was the visitors who opened the scoring just short of 15 minutes when Alex Read reacted quickest to the rebound from a Dan Bircham save to slot home.
Both sides had chances to further the scoring in an increasingly open match before perennial goalscorer Robbie Mason eluded his marker and nodded home Buster Harrdine’s ball from six yards, his 34th goal of the season.
Read saw another shot saved by Soham’s Bircham before James McCabe struck a post for the hosts with an arrowed strike from inside the area.
- 1 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 2 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 3 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 4 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 5 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 6 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 7 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 8 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 9 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 10 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
Fallon’s men took the lead into half-time however, as Robbie Mason was felled in the area having knocked the ball around the goalkeeper. Harradine finished clinically for his 19th goal of the campaign.
Less than 10 minutes after the break and Aveley were level once more, the irrepressible Read curling home a superb free-kick from 25 yards.
The sides continued to trade blows before the visitors moved into the lead, midway through the half. Sheldon Sellears thumped home a shot from just inside the area to leave Bircham no chance.
Though they defended stoutly for the much of the remainder of the match, Aveley were denied the three points when, in the sixth minute of added time, Soham were awarded a second penalty for another foul on Mason.
Harradine made no mistake from the spot to earn Soham a share of the spoils.