Honours even as Ely hold league leaders Mildenhall
Mildenhall 1 Ely City 1
ELY City remain unbeaten in seven matches after securing a draw at league leaders Mildenhall on Boxing Day.
Despite taking the lead through Kris Thomas inside 20 minutes, the hosts were quickly pegged back by in-form Ely, with Austen Diaper pouncing on a loose ball in the box to poke home.
The draw sees Ely remain in 13th place in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division, albeit having played up to four games less than some of their league rivals.
Thomas handed the hosts an arguably deserved lead in the 18th minute as he seized on a poor clearance from a free-kick to fire past captain Lee Pacey.
You may also want to watch:
The Boxing Day crowd’s joy was short-lived however, as Diaper hauled the Robins level after the Mildenhall goalkeeper had saved well from Adam Murray’s header.
The hosts’ Wayne Proctor struck a post in the second half and Ely’s Luke Parkinson saw an effort cleared off the line in an ultimately goalless second half.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 5 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 6 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 7 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 8 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
Alan Alsop’s side will be back in action again on Saturday as they are scheduled to travel to Haverhill Rovers before hosting Fen rivals Wisbech Town on January 2.