Hockey: Weekend draw for City
Bourne II 2 Ely City 2 ELY City shared the spoils against Bourne II on Saturday. Neil Dodsworth and man of the match Charlie Kisby were involved heavily early on. Despite Ely pressure it was Bourne who took the lead, a cruel deflected penalty corner loo
Bourne II 2 Ely City 2
ELY City shared the spoils against Bourne II on Saturday.
Neil Dodsworth and man of the match Charlie Kisby were involved heavily early on.
Despite Ely pressure it was Bourne who took the lead, a cruel deflected penalty corner looping into the goal past stranded Ely keeper, Chris Vincent. Ely were level minutes later, good work down the left involving Kisby, Nick Wells and Chris Purllant resulted in a cross into the area, although Chris Roberts was impeded when going for the ball Tommy Hugo was on hand to slot the ball home.
Ely attacked much more down the right in the second period with Julian Palmer showing his experience with classic winger play, slipping the ball through the full backs legs on several occasions and sprinting past him.
Fifteen minutes from the end of the game, a fierce shot by Purllant was saved on the line by the foot of a Bourne defender, penalty stroke. Purllant stepped up and flicked the ball into the roof of the net.
- 1 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 2 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 3 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 4 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 5 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 6 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 7 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 8 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 9 Students ‘over the moon’ to receive letter from The Queen during project
- 10 Inclusivity at the heart of Dr Pip's goals ahead of Ely by-election
Ely continued to press looking to kill the game and take a comfortable lead. Wells was denied by the edge of the Bourne keepers foot as he dribbled into the area and shot low to the keepers left. Five minutes before the end of the game, Bourne scored via another penalty corner. A mis-hit shot fell to the Bourne attacker who skilfully deflected the ball into the net.