HOCKEY: Roberts is late hero
Ely City 3 UEA 2 A DRAMATIC win secured by the last touch of the game saw Ely earn all three points against the high-flying University of East Anglia students. Ely were ahead within five minutes. The home side have struggled with set plays this season but
Ely City 3 UEA 2
A DRAMATIC win secured by the last touch of the game saw Ely earn all three points against the high-flying University of East Anglia students.
Ely were ahead within five minutes. The home side have struggled with set plays this season but Chris Purllant made no mistake, smashing the ball low to the keeper's right.
UEA recovered and looked to stamp their authority on the game. However, Ely were organised at the back and kept the play safe. Midway through the half, Ely were 2-0 ahead. Another penalty corner was slotted home by Rich Vincent.
Midway through the second half UEA finally got a goal back.
Minutes later, Ely had the perfect opportunity to seal the game. Tommy Hugo, a constant thorn in the UEA side, was hammered by the UEA keeper, resulting in a penalty flick. Purllant stepped up but was unlucky to hit a post.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 4 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 5 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 6 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 7 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 8 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 9 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
UEA capitalised on Ely's mistake minutes later. A cross was knocked in from the right, Ely failed to clear and the ball was flicked into the net.
Great work from Julian Palmer down the right helped Ely to win a penalty corner with the final play of the game. A well worked move found Roberts on the left, his sharp shot beating the UEA keeper to give Ely victory.