HOCKEY: Roberts is late hero
Ely City 3 UEA 2 A DRAMATIC win secured by the last touch of the game saw Ely earn all three points against the high-flying University of East Anglia students. Ely were ahead within five minutes. The home side have struggled with set plays this season but
Ely City 3 UEA 2
A DRAMATIC win secured by the last touch of the game saw Ely earn all three points against the high-flying University of East Anglia students.
Ely were ahead within five minutes. The home side have struggled with set plays this season but Chris Purllant made no mistake, smashing the ball low to the keeper's right.
UEA recovered and looked to stamp their authority on the game. However, Ely were organised at the back and kept the play safe. Midway through the half, Ely were 2-0 ahead. Another penalty corner was slotted home by Rich Vincent.
You may also want to watch:
Midway through the second half UEA finally got a goal back.
Minutes later, Ely had the perfect opportunity to seal the game. Tommy Hugo, a constant thorn in the UEA side, was hammered by the UEA keeper, resulting in a penalty flick. Purllant stepped up but was unlucky to hit a post.
- 1 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 2 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 3 Caught on camera: milk thieves strike in the city
- 4 Ely Museum team member retires after 16 years' service
- 5 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 6 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 7 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 8 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
- 9 'Every number is a lost life' - Worst Covid affected care homes in Cambs
- 10 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
UEA capitalised on Ely's mistake minutes later. A cross was knocked in from the right, Ely failed to clear and the ball was flicked into the net.
Great work from Julian Palmer down the right helped Ely to win a penalty corner with the final play of the game. A well worked move found Roberts on the left, his sharp shot beating the UEA keeper to give Ely victory.