Strong results for Ely City Hockey Club
- Credit: Archant
Ely City Ladies 1s drew 2-2 away against Huntingdon 1s, both goals came from Jo Rayner while player of the match was awarded to both Hannah Brown and Nat Jones for their excellent interlocking play in attack.
It was a frustrating score line for Ladies 1s, who dominated most of the play.
The Ladies 2s continued their unbeaten streak in style with a 6-0 win away against Newmarket 3s. The midfield and forwards worked hard in attack, putting the Newmarket defence under constant pressure.
Although Newmarket did look to counter attack a few times in the second half, it didn’t trouble the well organised Ely Defence.
Goal scorers were Xenia Marshall (an impressive 4), Kirstie Rogers (1) and Gemma Neal (1). Player of the match went to Charlotte Dobson.
The Ladies 3s lost 1-2 at home against Cambs South 4s in a game of two halves.
During the first half Ely defence stood strong and soaked up the pressure of multiple short corners awarded against them and were unlucky to have one goal slipped in just before half time.
- 1 Lane closed on A14 after ambulance and lorry crash
- 2 Combined Authority in freefall: how on earth did we get to this?
- 3 Free trips on classic coaches at Busfest 2022
- 4 Caught on camera the moment an otter came up for dinner
- 5 Model rail exhibition back after three years
- 6 Passengers 'thrown from seats' when train sped through Peterborough
- 7 Major supermarkets order urgent product recalls over salmonella fears
- 8 ‘It couldn’t have gone better’ - guitar teacher hosts first workshop since lockdown
- 9 Visit Ely announces series of fun-packed events ahead of The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
- 10 Father one foot from death after A142 crash urges call for action
The start of the second half started with much of the same and Ely found themselves 2-0 down.
However, a tremendous run on the break saw Brittany Ward score an excellent goal from the top of the D.
The 3s began to fight back strong and were unfortunate not to steal a draw. Player of the match went to Brittany Ward.
Ely City Mens 1s drew 2-2 at home against Wisbech 2s in an exciting match of end to end play. Player of the match went to Warren Dennis.
The Men’s 3s won 3-1 at home against Cambs South 5s, despite Ely starting sluggish they soon found their rhythm to secure the win. Goal scorers were Tom Samuel (2) and Owen Carford (1).