HOCKEY: Ely City’s men claim sixth straight win but ladies draw a blank
- Credit: Archant
A backs-to-the-wall performance earned Ely City men’s first team a sixth straight win last weekend.
A Chris Purllant strike and a Matt Samouel double saw the in-form side win 3-0 at City of Peterborough 5ths on Saturday and move to within a win of top spot in Division Three North-West of the East Leagues.
Back on home soil, the club’s ladies were looking to put pressure on the top two sides in the Three North-East Division, but their clash with Horncastle failed to produce any goals.
Goalkeeper Kat Bamber put in an inspired performance to keep the visitors at bay but Ely’s attackers couldn’t find the decisive goal.
Fifth-placed Ely men’s seconds had a much more productive afternoon in front of goal, however.
They hit double-figures in an excellent 11-1 win over St Ives 5ths. Craig Hall and Liam Goodson both hit hat-tricks.
St Ives, though, weren’t to be beaten completely, with their ladies third team beating Ely’s second team 6-0.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 3 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 4 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 5 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 6 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
- 7 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 8 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 9 Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 10 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
Ely’s third men’s side also lost in their away match against Cambridge South 5ths.