HOCKEY: Ely City’s men claim sixth straight win but ladies draw a blank
- Credit: Archant
A backs-to-the-wall performance earned Ely City men’s first team a sixth straight win last weekend.
A Chris Purllant strike and a Matt Samouel double saw the in-form side win 3-0 at City of Peterborough 5ths on Saturday and move to within a win of top spot in Division Three North-West of the East Leagues.
Back on home soil, the club’s ladies were looking to put pressure on the top two sides in the Three North-East Division, but their clash with Horncastle failed to produce any goals.
Goalkeeper Kat Bamber put in an inspired performance to keep the visitors at bay but Ely’s attackers couldn’t find the decisive goal.
Fifth-placed Ely men’s seconds had a much more productive afternoon in front of goal, however.
You may also want to watch:
They hit double-figures in an excellent 11-1 win over St Ives 5ths. Craig Hall and Liam Goodson both hit hat-tricks.
St Ives, though, weren’t to be beaten completely, with their ladies third team beating Ely’s second team 6-0.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 3 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 4 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 5 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 6 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 7 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 8 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 9 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 10 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
Ely’s third men’s side also lost in their away match against Cambridge South 5ths.